Why did the turtle cross the road

Donna/Turbo

Location (City and/or State)
Banner Elk, NC
I just rescued a turtle (or something) from crossing in rush hour traffic. I have never seen anything like it. I thought it was a mud turtle, but it had a tail like a stingray (just not as long). I could tell he was very old. His tail was about 6 or 7 inches long. Huge head and neck. Nails were about 2 inches long. Any Ideas??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Naturally, we'd have to see it, but my guess would be snapping turtle.

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Yes I have always been told take it to the direction it wanted to go. Glad he didn't bite me!! I think he was to old to snap anyone. Hahaha

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Yea that is what it was. Looks like an old dinosaur!! Believe it or not I have never seen one before. Thanks for identifying it for me. Now I can sleep tonight. haha

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I think he was to old to snap anyone. Hahaha

don't ever fall for that gag lol if the snapper is still alive it will get you trust me there's no such thing as to hold to snap with snappers lol

i dealt with snappers all the time in Arkansas as a kid and i've had my fair share of close calls but never been biten thank goodness.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Only thing cross our street are cats and people!! ! :(:(

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
I am so glad he didn't try and bite me. With my luck I would have dropped him in the middle of the street and we both would have been hit by a car!! hahaha

Donna/Turbo

Banner Elk, NC
Only thing cross our street are cats and people!! ! :(:(
We have 2 man made lakes in the front of the subdivision and a large lake on the back. I saved a huge ugly duck yesterday in the same exact spot. A few years ago there was about a 5 foot alligator in the same spot. There are woods across from the lake so I guess the live in the woods and then use our lakes when it is hot. 85 degrees today!!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
At 6 or 7 inches he/she is still a young snapper, they get big.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I've got a munched passenger front fender on my truck. When someone asks what happened, I say, “Why did the deer cross the road? She didn't!"

im having to have my car fixed from a herd of deer lol last weekend driving down the mountain from going up and skeet shooting turned the corner musta be 8-10 deer just all the sudden hit the side of my car lol got hair stuck in the mirror and grill
and my wind shield cracked from them kicking it while jumping