Who grows their own plants and vegetables?

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Georgia
I'm wanting to begin growing my Redfoots own food. I live in South Georgia about an hour north of Florida. I have recently planted Hibiscus, Rapina, Red Clover, and Holly Hock in seed starting kits. I would also love to plant some vegetables. Problem is, I do not have a green thumb by any means. So I need advice.

ryanellis

Want food should I feed my marginated tortoises
I used to feed them lambs and romaine lettuce but a Facebook page said u can only feed them fresh weeds and flowers

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also keep redfoot and I grow about 50% of what they eat:
Hibiscus, cactus, purslane, grape leaves, mulberry leaves and now money tree and money plant. (Guiana chestnut and jade) Along with other food that grows quite by accident in the form of weeds.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I recently made a large flowerbed with hollyhock, daylily, hosta, phlox, geranium, coneflower, bellflower, lady's mantle, cinquefoil, red valerian,...
The neighbours thought I would - finally! - bring some order into my overgrown garden. Until I started to plant weeds between the flowers. :p
Of course it's all just food for the torts. :D

Since I also don't have a green thumb, I try to get plants for free (I found lots of beautiful perennials in the wild like evening primrose, teasel, goldenrod, Saint John's wort, mallows,...).

Reactions: Tom

ethan508

Northern Utah
If you don't have a green thumb, weeds are the easiest to grow ;). Just water a bare patch of soil, and pull the weeds the torts shouldn't eat and let the rest grow.

State University Extension offices often have great advice for your area. The local master gardeners and extension agents sometime hold clinics or will even evaluate your garden plant. Looks like UGA has a good batch of publications on gardening:
http://extension.uga.edu/publications/series.cfm?name=community-and-school-gardens

Here is a good 'how to start' guide from the university of Florida extension:
http://gardeningsolutions.ifas.ufl.edu/plants/edibles/vegetables/vegetable-gardening-in-florida.html

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I would check out native grape vines in your area; plant one or two in the right spot and you'll have lots of leaves in the summer time. They don't need much work but you will have to read up on how to water and plant.

If you get any sun and can do some watering, squash vines of any kind are pretty easy. You might get some squash for yourself but even if you kill them, you'll get quite a bit of leaves and stems out of them before they flat out die. Given how cheap they are to buy in pots, it's an easy investment. Plenty of info on growing zucchini on the internet. :)

Arugula grows pretty well by itself and will reseed for next year. Nasturiums do, too. Arugula can be used in everything (salads, pasta, pizza!) and nasturium flowers are what you see in those expensive plastic containers of edible flowers. They are spicy and go well in salads, if your tortoises leave you any. They'll eat the leaves.

I bought these dandelion and chicory seeds from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H6NR9PW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20. They grew pretty well but for me it turned out to be easier to just gather from seeds from weeds that grow near my house and throw them into some open space. I'm in a dry area and needed scrappier weeds. :eek: They might work well in a more humid climate, like yours. Humans can eat them too, in salads. Everyone benefits!

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Definitely go for it! And I wouldn't even mess with starting seeds in little seedling pots, just trow the seeds out on the ground where it gets some sun and water if no rain. You should have seedlings of some plants in matter of days. You are in good climate zone to grow stuff. Courage my friend! No negative self talk! No one was born with their thumbs being green. Gardening is a skill just like most of everything else. You get better at it as you practice over time

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
{Raises hand and jumps up and down in his seat like a little kid in school…}

I do! I do!

Jennifer M

5 Year Member
South Georgia
Thanks for the the replies. I did throw/spread a mixture of seeds out around the enclosure. These are what have sprouted so far. The last picture is the spineless cactus I planted, hopefully it will grow.

Attachments

• 1492032926530.jpg
    1492032926530.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 1492032939329.jpg
    1492032939329.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 1492032950409.jpg
    1492032950409.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 22
  • 1492032966383.jpg
    1492032966383.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 1492032992834.jpg
    1492032992834.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 1492033007516.jpg
    1492033007516.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 1492033025812.jpg
    1492033025812.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 1492033042678.jpg
    1492033042678.jpg
    253.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 1492033058451.jpg
    1492033058451.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 24

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I do. :cool:

I use the Back To Eden gardening method. A man named Paul Gautschi from Washington state has a 1 acre garden that he opens to the public for gardening tours. A friend of mine went there and loved it. He also has a free video on YouTube. After watching it, I decided to try, too. This is my second year gardening this way.

My only garden tool is a rake. No tiling the soil, no pesticides and hardly any watering. And weeding (what few weeds you get) is so easy, it's actually fun!

I've turned 3 others (including one, very long term gardener) onto this method since doing it myself.
I wouldn't do it any other way.

If your interest is peeked, I'll elaborate more.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area

I use the Back To Eden gardening method. A man named Paul Gautschi from Washington state has a 1 acre garden that he opens to the public for gardening tours. A friend of mine went there and loved it. He also has a free video on YouTube. After watching it, I decided to try, too. This is my second year gardening this way.

My only garden tool is a rake. No tiling the soil, no pesticides and hardly any watering. And weeding (what few weeds you get) is so easy, it's actually fun!

I've turned 3 others (including one, very long term gardener) onto this method since doing it myself.

Now you've made my ears stand up!!!! I gotta hear more about it!!!!

Greta16

Western Maine
I also keep redfoot and I grow about 50% of what they eat:
Hibiscus, cactus, purslane, grape leaves, mulberry leaves and now money tree and money plant. (Guiana chestnut and jade) Along with other food that grows quite by accident in the form of weeds.
Can u send me a pic of your jade plant? I believe I have one but, I know there can be 2 different plants referred to as jade.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California

I'm interested in this video!

I too grow my own veggies and weeds. I don't let my pest guy treat my lawn or anything so I feed the weeds that are good for him. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492091858.960395.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492091877.224547.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492091921.761955.jpg