White stuff on skin and shell?? Is this normal?

Frostedserenity

My tortoise has grown white stuff on the neck, front of the shell, legs, and in the creases of the shell. Is it dried out or a fungus or something else i should be concerned about??

20170410_234638.jpg 20170410_234923.jpg 20170410_234931.jpg 20170410_234940.jpg 20170410_234852.jpg 20170410_234754.jpg

Location (City and/or State)
Manteca, CA
That looks like it must be dry skin, or he could be shedding. I'm not really sure that's what it could be... Do you soak him often enough? His skin might be dehydrated.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
He looks really dry..how often are you soaking him??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Frosty, and welcome to the Forum!

You're keeping that redfooted tortoise way too dry. They come from the rain forest, where humidity and heat are way up the chart. He needs to be in an enclosure with deep, moist substrate, and at least 80% humidity. You'd probably have to cover the enclosure to maintain that. Or, if he's outside, you'll have to set the sprinkler in his yard daily.

The white on the shell is new growth. The white on the skin is because he's living in a too dry environment.

Here's some good reading for you. Look for the redfooted tortoise section:

Tortoise Library

Manteca, CA
Hi Frosty, and welcome to the Forum!

You're keeping that redfooted tortoise way too dry. They come from the rain forest, where humidity and heat are way up the chart. He needs to be in an enclosure with deep, moist substrate, and at least 80% humidity. You'd probably have to cover the enclosure to maintain that. Or, if he's outside, you'll have to set the sprinkler in his yard daily.

The white on the shell is new growth. The white on the skin is because he's living in a too dry environment.

Here's some good reading for you. Look for the redfooted tortoise section:

Tortoise Library
Yup! Thats what I thought! They are a humid loving species.