Which type of tortoise?

jack19

Hi Everyone...
We have agreed to purchase a tortoise for my 13 year old son this year, it has been something he has wanted for a long time and have finally relented. We are in the research phase and know the following -

1) turtle table not aquarium
2) leaf diet and calcium dust
3) regular soaking
4) smaller tortoise (vs sulcata)

We live in the Northeast and are having trouble finding a good source for a tortoise. Do we do mail order or pet store? Do all smaller turtles (greek, russian) need to be hibernated (conflicting advice out there)? Is there a recommended tortoise that is a good starter tortoise? Anyone point me to a reputable supplier?

Thanks in advance....

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hello @jack19 and a very warm welcome to the forum. :)

Please read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread. You'll find a lot of useful info there. And please post pic(s) of your tort and his/her enclosure.

Make sure you tort has enough WARMTH and HUMIDITY so as to avoid pyramiding and dehydration. Give him/her a daily soak in warm water.

Yes, there's definitely a lot of conflicting information. Please do not allow it to irritate you.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
Hi Everyone...
We have agreed to purchase a tortoise for my 13 year old son this year, it has been something he has wanted for a long time and have finally relented. We are in the research phase and know the following -

1) turtle table not aquarium
2) leaf diet and calcium dust
3) regular soaking
4) smaller tortoise (vs sulcata)

We live in the Northeast and are having trouble finding a good source for a tortoise. Do we do mail order or pet store? Do all smaller turtles (greek, russian) need to be hibernated (conflicting advice out there)? Is there a recommended tortoise that is a good starter tortoise? Anyone point me to a reputable supplier?

Thanks in advance....
There's a lot of good breeders on the forum and that's what I would suggest, the problem is the time of the year for shipping. Cold weather and Holidays.
You don't have to hibernate them, that's a personal choice but not recommend the first year you own the tortoise anyway.

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Welcome!! Heat and humidity play a big role in a lot of tortoises, they best way I've seen a lot of folks take care of that is fully enclosed habitats. Not all of them need that though. Keep us updated on what y'all decide to go with! And good luck! Torts are a lot of work but well worth it!

Steve_carter

UK
Welcome to the forum. I would recommend a Russian horsefield tortoise. When you say you are in the North East do you mean North East, UK?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
coming on here and doing your homework is great idea. I can't stress more how important it is to learn as much as you can here and get things set up and running before get a tort.