Which Tortoise to get?

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I'm looking to get another tortoise, and I'm not sure which one to get. I'm looking at one that gets about 12 or so inches as their adult size. Right now I've been looking at Red Foot, Yellow Foot, and Marginated tortoises. Which of these would you recommend? Pros & cons about each? I'm planning on building a spacious enclosure outside for whichever tortoise I get. What's the recommended size for an enclosure for these guys? Thanks in advance.

surfergirl

I would consider your climate to help with the decision. all three are awesome torts! I have a marginated babe and she is very bright and has a good personality. I made her outdoor enclosure with different elevations, hills and she takes the least steep path to her burrow every time. smart on the tortoise smart scale. reds and yellows are outgoing personable torts! difficult choice always..I haven't found any I did not enjoy observing.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm a Redfoot person and can not recommend them enough.
It would be helpful if, like @surfergirl said, you would give us your basic location.
For example, Redfoot thrive in the south eastern U.S. with very little issue, etc.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
Seconding RFs, I love them and want 50 more. Climate is probably going to box you into a certain species, though, unless you can replicate a high humidity environment outdoors.

ErinLaForce16

5 Year Member
I live in South Alabama. During the summer it's 100° most days with high humidity. Right now it's 9:32 in the morning and it's 81° with 93% humidity so it feels like 100° and it doesn't get to cold in the winter either.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I live in South Alabama. During the summer it's 100° most days with high humidity. Right now it's 9:32 in the morning and it's 81° with 93% humidity so it feels like 100° and it doesn't get to cold in the winter either.
Sounds like good weather for the redfoot or yellowfoot.

I've always wanted a marginated though. I do have a redfoot and he's a friendly and curious guy.

jockma

5 Year Member
Los Angeles County
I definitely recommend RFs then, they're very popular pets (sold at pet stores I mean) so they often pop up as rescues if you're interested in adopting one.

kelii

5 Year Member
Georgia
Go with a red foot. They are very personable.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
+1 on Red or Yellow Foot.

Sounds like you have ideal environment for them & their size is compatible with your situation!

Plenty of good breeders/sources on TFO for a red foot.

Best of luck.