San Jose CA
I believe the Egyptian are smaller.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
The speckled padloper from South Africa is the smallest species.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
basically because they're endangered. also probably because they don't producing at ashleys to make it a viable revenue source for most breeders. which is sad cuz I would definitely like one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
basically because they're endangered. also probably because they don't producing at ashleys to make it a viable revenue source for most breeders. which is sad cuz I would definitely like one.

Lots of species that are listed as endangered are available in the pet trade.

Russians reproduced very slowly, and so do spiders and pancakes, but lots of those too.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I think @Will would be the most qualified to answer this one.
Well, they are. Just in such limited numbers and actually traded by people to people who have otherwise demonstrated a certain keeper ethic not so common. It is not illegal to have them or keep them. I've not just now looked again, but I believe they are CITES II, (international law) so that highly regulates their legal movement from one country to another. They do not exceed 4" so are not available for 'commercial' importation to the USA (just a rule/law, good or bad as it may be).

Back to the initial question, I've seen some relative monster spider tortoises, never an aberrant large Egyptian though. So of these two I'd say Egyptians.

Last edited:

turtlemanfla88

Knoxville zoo is the only place I saw speckled padlopers and that was 15 years ago. The padlopers and geometric tortoises does not adjust well to captivity in the U.S . I do not know about these species in Europe . I wish these animals become captive born then have assurance colonies in U.S. And Europe. Also, if people want to stop putting $ on animals only let certain species can come in ,but they have no $ value then only people that care about the animals would work with them and for the almighty $.