Which Tortoise Species Is More Active/Friendly

Status
Not open for further replies.

alben909

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Yuciapa,CA
Your right they do have differant personalities are differant. So are peoples expctaitions on what they are looking for in a tortoise. I personaly like the clingy tort like the sulcata just because it makes me feel like they "love" me more than a tort that sits around.

Lilithlee

5 Year Member
Virginia
My russian had a personally all his own; he isn't friendly more like stuck up, and I think the only thing he think about is escape, but he'll eat food out of my hand, he doesn't like to be pick up or touch too much, however, he is very active.

Snapper925

5 Year Member
Joliet,IL
My red foot has a.huge huge personality, I can read his body language and he has.his.soak,outside and food schedule down:) but when I pick him up he is shy at first,

Now my sulcata that I rescued recently, she.is.not shy at all! She is not as active though compared to my redfoot, but she also had a bad past before I got her, we will see when she is fully healthy :D

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
We've had RV since she was a baby. As a baby, she was very shy and stand-offish. She is 12 or 13 years old, very active and VERY friendly. Non aggressive, loves her pets - but loves it more when I offer her food. Not having any experience with any other torts, couldn't say which would be friendlier.

teri

alben909

5 Year Member
Yuciapa,CA
I have a russian and two sulcatas. The thing is Roxy, my big female sulcata, has a "no ones telling me what to do"attitude. My smaller sulcata, Oreo, is a sweet shy little angel. She never goes outside of her boundaries any reminds me of a Aldabra. My Russian is crazy. He crawls all over everybody and just loves a head rub

LauraChin

5 Year Member
Lansing, MI
My 8 year old Russian is very active for a few hours a day in his enclosure. If I let him have full reign of the kitchen, he'll run about happily for an hour, then sleep for a day!
He's friendly and sticks his head out for a stroke when we pick him up or make kissy noises at him. He's never tried to bite the kids, but will hiss if he's had enough play and wants to be left alone. All in all a sweet boy!

SpeedyandDiego

5 Year Member
MN
We met a red foot in a local reptile shop that would actively seek out attention and loved head rubs! We were amazed! Fell in love and wanted to take him home. Until we saw how big he would get. We decided on a Russian. He's very shy. Does not seek attention. He hisses a lot. But I'm not afraid that speedy would EVER bite anyone. So I think he's slowly coming around. I talk to him a lot when I feed him or move him. So he doesn't hiss at me as much anymore.
I have very little experience with other torts.

image-3796242441.png

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have 6 Russians and they all have different personalities from very sweet to very crabby :)

Chreees

5 Year Member
My Russian is incredibly friendly. He doesn't mind me holding him at all. In his enclosure he is semi active roaming around occasionally but when I take him outside all he does is explores.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I would have to say our of all the species I have. Mine wod be manouria all 3 of them browns are so cool and blacks are always just looking at me. And impressed are just like an old person who wants to be left alone. I have so many different personality torts though.

Status
Not open for further replies.