Which tortoise is the friendliest?

natalie3

I´ve been wishing to get a tortoise for a long time and now I´m doing research on which one would be the best for me. Box turtle? Sulcata? Leopard? I love them all. In your experience which one is more friendly?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I would like you to define " friendly " cause I would say my marginal is the friendly - est torts because you walk by they come running , if you step in the pen they come running but that's were it changes once you step in their pen they might bite you ! I would say my pancakes are the friendly - est they are there and they don't let you bother them

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
All torts and turtles benefit greatly to having natural sunlight, at least a few hours a week. Do you have any space to do this. Even a small kiddie pool with dirt and plants would work.
You should look into russian tortoises. They stay small (still need a good size enclosure) and they have huge personalities! I adore mine, she's not affraid of anything :)

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Yep, out doors is a must. This is like having a 150-200lb cow with a built in battering ram :) search for some stories about "Bob" by member @maggie3fan lol that's a personality sully for sure ;)
Too much laughing trying to imagine this! Cheerio would destroy EVERYTHING!
hahahaha

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Sounds lovely!
Leopards still have the potential to grow to 14'', and won't be able to live inside! If you live somewhere colder, you also might want a tort who can hibernate (I don't do that 'thing', but it's up to you!) and leopards can't.
I'd go with a russian. They have such big personalities, are ADORABLE :p and stay realtivliy small and be easily housed indoors (and they can hibernate) they'll tolerate lower temps too, again if you live somewhere a little chilly.
Box turtles are AWESOME, and I so want some someday, probably be the next little guys I'll adopt! But they do the best outside, and are sort of a mix between tort and turtle, because of the water thing. They stay smaller, but I'm not sure if they are the type of friendly you're looking for.
Please remember that torts are, well, torts. They are not that 'pet' that will be soft and cuddly, and will want to play ball someday. Thye can be very social, sure, but that only goes so far!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Where do you live Natalie?

Many individuals of many species can be considered "friendly". By friendly I mean they will see out people and approach them. Usually it is because they associate people with food, but sometimes males are territorial and just not afraid of people.

Tortoises need outside time. At least during fair weather. It can be done indoors, but in that case you should eliminate giant species from your list. I think you will find that hermanni and russian tortoises generally have great, outgoing personalities, and stay small enough to manage indoors. If you are going indoors only you will need a minimum of 4x8' for your enclosure with the smaller species and you will need to learn about and invest in some good indoor UV. The market is full of all sort of products. Some of them are ineffective if used improperly, and some of them are harmful if used as directed. Let us help you when the time comes for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

phebe121

It is lovely just have yo have space when there small they can be inside but when there big my plan is outside during the day and inside at night

natalie3

Leopards still have the potential to grow to 14'', and won't be able to live inside! If you live somewhere colder, you also might want a tort who can hibernate (I don't do that 'thing', but it's up to you!) and leopards can't.
I'd go with a russian. They have such big personalities, are ADORABLE :p and stay realtivliy small and be easily housed indoors (and they can hibernate) they'll tolerate lower temps too, again if you live somewhere a little chilly.
Box turtles are AWESOME, and I so want some someday, probably be the next little guys I'll adopt! But they do the best outside, and are sort of a mix between tort and turtle, because of the water thing. They stay smaller, but I'm not sure if they are the type of friendly you're looking for.
Please remember that torts are, well, torts. They are not that 'pet' that will be soft and cuddly, and will want to play ball someday. Thye can be very social, sure, but that only goes so far!

LOL I know, I´m not looking for a lap dog (although they´re cute too) just a not so shy tort.

Magilla504

My Russians are very friendly. They can live indoor or out and are fairly easy to care for. This species is usually outgoing, friendly and has a curious nature about themselves. I am certainly partial to them though! If I had to pick a different species than I would go with a sulcata. They sound like they have Great personalities! Just remember what you chose may be huge one day so make sure you have the space.