Which tortoise is best/what do I need to know?

SuperGoKana

Hello
I just registered to this site because I am seriously considering buying a tortoise! Now as I said in the topic, those are things a need to know from trusted humans, and you guys seem perfect. I live I Colorado (DRY) and I have experience with hamsters, rats, and a dog when I lived at home a couple years ago. Hopefully not incredibly scaly, but that's not a necessity. At my local Petsmart, they have ONE Russian/Greek one and he looks relatively young. I really need opinions. Thanks!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
If you want something that'll live a long life, don't buy from a pet store. They seem to buy and sell their tartlets/tortoise already sick and they don't take care of them properly, at all. I currently have one Russian tortoise, whom the pet store owner told me he ONLY feeds it red leaf lettuce an tht was fine for it. I also have a sulcata tortoise. I researched information on care and background knowledge on these guys 1-2 years before I finally got one. I am not saying you have to do this. My parents actually would allow me to get one, then Change their minds which worked to my advantage.

I'm super glad you found this forum, so please use it to your advantage. Many do not find this forum until they're desperate and need medical help. With that being said, use this moment to your advantage. Read the threads and experiences with people and their turtles an tortoise an the care and time they take. That's my advice! I've enjoyed both Of my guys A LOT! My Russian was a good starter. But they need a lot of roaming space and a good diet as all animals do. My sulcata requires a good amount of dedication and time as a baby. It took me 2-3 weeks to perfect the enclosure temperatures, diet, humidity etc. you'll find most of what you need on this forum! Welcome!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Any species can be kept anywhere in the world. Its just a question of time money and effort.

That said, you should have a pretty easy time with a russian. If you buy one from a good breeder, you will likely have less problems with acclimation, diseases and parasites.

abclements

5 Year Member
I'm raising a red foot in Eastern washington, which is dry like Colorado. I have to provide a nice indoor set up. But it's really awesome to see him inside anyways. But a russian/greek could stay outside fore more than a couple hrs a day. So long story short, like Tom said, any will work some may be easier than others...