Which tortoise baby?

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
Thinking of buying another Russian tortoise to add to our family . No they will not be in the same enclosures, and will quarantine 6months before there ever even near each other. Anyways we found a small local breeder babies are 10months old. I have a choice between 3 babies and I don't know which to choose ? Some have more scales than others ... The two with red Xs are already sold so choice is between the 3. Any advice on which one and advice on care of a 10month old Russian image.jpeg

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Per usual, wellington is correct. Split scute is the first choice, second is the one on the left, third is the one on the right. Of course I would go for the fourth choice, get all three, but that's generally my course of action when it comes to everything. If you can't decide, choose all of the above.

T.G.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Per usual, wellington is correct. Split scute is the first choice, second is the one on the left, third is the one on the right. Of course I would go for the fourth choice, get all three, but that's generally my course of action when it comes to everything. If you can't decide, choose all of the above.

T.G.
I really wish I could buy all 3 lol she now has 2 left anyone in Colorado /Wyoming area needing a Russian she's the only breeder I know of in area $200 a piece I don't know if she ships or not

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'd choose the first on the left hand side. :) But they're all sweet. :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Janelle Green

Colorado
Yes I have she has a Facebook page and posts pictures of the babies all day she has them eating fresh greens , her husband built a huge tortoise table that the 5 babies are in, she has 2 that are 14months old (already spoken for ) and 3 that are 10 months old. I will have to ask her more questions , I am trying to get a female but you can't tell at that young age

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You won't know for years if it's a female. They all look female at first. Baby Russians need 50 to 70% humidity, that's hard to get in an open top table. I would ask more questions about how they've been raised.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Ok thank you :) what specific questions should I ask her? I know one of her babies that's 14months was born with an underbite and won't grow she's not selling him ...

Janelle Green

Colorado
I just sent a message asking what her humidity is at for the babies enclosure so just waiting on reply

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Ok thank you :) what specific questions should I ask her? I know one of her babies that's 14months was born with an underbite and won't grow she's not selling him ...
Not necessarily an issue unless it happens in a lot of the hatchlings. Sometimes things just go wrong in the development process.
Do you want a male and a female so that you can eventually breed them? If so getting a hatchling is going to put those plans off for many years. Inbreeding tortoises is a big time and money commitment. Especially because you live "up north" so you have to consider winter housing etc.
I love the hatchlings, they are absolutely adorable. But I am not interested in breeding tortoises. Things can go wrong, my vet has Desert tortoises. And she just lost one last year when eggs broke inside of the tortoise. This tortoise had the best care and still could not be saved. She is still heartbroken. So just know what you're getting into.

Janelle Green

Colorado
I got some
Pics of the babies off her page and their enclosure

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    671.6 KB · Views: 14
  • image.png
    image.png
    880.5 KB · Views: 13
  • image.png
    image.png
    871.7 KB · Views: 13
  • image.png
    image.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • image.png
    image.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 12

Janelle Green

Colorado
No not right now at least few years maybe down the road just once for expirement,just looking for female to see different personality and their slightly bigger which I like. So If it ends up male that's totally fine to so I'm going with a unisex name lol. I would rather get into a tortoise small rescue than breeding , lots needing proper care and homes out there.

Janelle Green

Colorado
We just wanted to add another tort to our family and wanted to get a CB one ,their is repticon coming up but i have no idea what to expect from one of those if it's just abunch of pet shops or is it breeders

Janelle Green

Colorado
When spring comes half my back yard will be their outside enclosure super excited for spring hate winter :( but this weekends supposed to be 90

Fredkas

5 Year Member
Not a bad thing. It just i like more symetrical things. Different people different preference. And i like the color of the left one so much.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
When spring comes half my back yard will be their outside enclosure super excited for spring hate winter :( but this weekends supposed to be 90
Yeah, the weather is crazy there. It is going to be warmer there when I'm visiting then it's going to be here while I'm gone. I was expecting snow.