Where to bring tortoise for exercise?

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
I know Tom mentioned that he would never let his tortoise walk around in a suburb-like area (apartments, parks, etc). So, where do you guys take your tortoises for more exercise? In the wild, Sulcata tortoises walk great distances. In large fields, even my little guy can go several hundred yards within a short period of time.

I'm looking for some ideas. I have a beach nearby, but I don't think my guy could make much progress through the soft sand (although I may be wrong about this). Thanks.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
How big is your tortoise? Do you have a yard at all or even room for a plastic kiddie pool?
How about a kiddie pool with some soil in it? He could run laps.
This would only work for a small one.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Ideally your tortoise would get it's exercise in it's outdoor enclosure. The reason to not let it wander around another property is you never know if the area has been sprayed with chemicals. I would try the beach, he might suprise you on his ability to walk on sand. A school yard might be ab option, less chance of chemicals being used there.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
He has an enclosure much larger than a kiddie pool (20' x 15'). It has grass and other items. But, he is 23lbs, so his enclosure is way too small for him.

I'll try out the beach and see how he does. I'm worried that he'll just sink in and get sand in his face and crevasses, but maybe that is not a big problem.

We're going to buy a house soon, so then at least he will have a decent sized yard. Ideally, we want a place with several acres for him, but I don't think we'll be able to get something like that for 5 years or so.

A couple years ago we went to the Galapagos Islands and they let the tortoises have the run of the places (thousands of acres), except the exhibit ones. Even the exhibit ones still had huge areas. It would be nice to give Hercules something like that. Meanwhile, I'll also take him to the school 1/2 block away. I'm sure he'd like that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
At 23lbs, he should be set up outside. He could have the whole yard with a heated shelter. Just bear in mind, if you allow the tortoise to know there's a big world outside his walls, he's no longer happy to stay inside those walls.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Yvonne G, I totally agree. Hercules is set up outside.

I also know what you're saying about letting him know that there's more. He loves his walks outside, so as soon as he sees the patio door open, he bolts to go through the door because he knows that the front door is also nearby and that is how he gets outside! I think I'll keep taking him on walks outside as well. I'm not sure if any of you have had problems with the concrete being too tough on their feet. Anyway, thanks again for the exercise ideas.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm glad you are keeping an open mind about these things. I'll share what I know.

First, not much is known about wild sulcatas, but I don't think they walk great distances. The best book on wild sulcatas is the out of print "The Crying Tortoise". It says they spend 98% of their lives underground. So if they are walking great distances, it would be back and forth in their underground burrow. They probably come out a lot more in the rainy season, but no one from over there has ever told me that. In fact, they are highly endangered over there and probably extinct in at least two countries. My friend Tomas from Senegal tells me that it is very unusual to see a sulcata walking around in the open over there.

Sooooooo, with all of that out of the way...

In some areas of their natural range there is sand, or soil with a high sand content. I don't think its the same sand that we have on our beaches though. I think it has a different composition. "Sand" is merely a particle size definition. Anyhow, I would not take mine to the beach either, although I bet they would try to dig into the sand and/or fling it on themselves. Having grown up at SoCal beaches, I can tell you, it is not a place for tortoises. I grew up 10 minutes from where you are now. Manhattan 26th st. was my usual beach of choice, but I sometimes hit Hermosa or El Porto too.

Sooooooo, now what? Where do I recommend you take your tortoise for exercise? No where. Cap'n Awesome spelled it out perfectly. Your tortoise belongs in its enclosure. I know this is not what you want to hear, and I know you are already resistant to this idea, and I know you've been letting him run all over the house and the great outdoors for years, but I'm telling you that its not safe. My wife and I work with a lot of the local Vets here in SoCal. They all know of my tortoise affliction and they frequently call and tell me all about novel cases. If you could see some of the x-rays I've seen... I'm glad that so far, this practice has not hurt your tortoise, but so many others, others who are also intelligent and with good intentions, have lost their beloved pets because of something they never anticipated. I'm sorry, but other than a tortoise-proofed back yard or large enclosure, there is not anywhere out in the world that I would take my tortoise and let it run around loose on the ground. Its a recipe for disaster, and I've seen that meal served to too many people already.

That is my two cents, anyhow. Its the same thing I tell people who live in an apartment and keep their tortoise in a small enclosure. If your enclosure is too small to meet your tortoises needs, you need to make it bigger. The tortoise doesn't care if you are short on space, time or money. This does not solve your immediate problem, but if anything bad happens while your tortoise is out there roaming in the world, you won't have a problem at all anymore. You are facing a common problem for people who buy a large species of animal, but don't have the space or climate to keep it. It is a series of compromises, none of which are ideal for the tortoise.

Personally, I hope you are able to find a nice house with a large back yard sooner, rather than later. Good luck.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne G, I totally agree. Hercules is set up outside.

I also know what you're saying about letting him know that there's more. He loves his walks outside, so as soon as he sees the patio door open, he bolts to go through the door because he knows that the front door is also nearby and that is how he gets outside! I think I'll keep taking him on walks outside as well. I'm not sure if any of you have had problems with the concrete being too tough on their feet. Anyway, thanks again for the exercise ideas.

The more they are on concrete and the heavier they are, the more likely it is to cause a problem. You will probably be okay with a small one walking on concrete infrequently.

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply and information on exercise. I also personally hope I find a large yard sooner rather than later!

My patio is concrete, so I built a huge planter that covers half of it, filled it with dirt and then planted a mixture of grasses for him. He definitely loves that, especially when it is sunny. That also takes care of a lot of his diet as well. Still, a 20' x 15' outdoor enclosure does not do him justice. We are looking at places where the enclosure for Hercules will be 50' x 100'. I think that will be a lot more reasonable.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you have a friend whose yard you could use? Then you would know what chemicals have been used on it, what animals may have been on it, leaving behind yummy manure for your tortoise to feast on, ect..,

Schatzi011

5 Year Member
I had a yard when I lived in MN that was 2 acres large. Hercules loved it and would roam for hours and eat for hours. Unfortunately, that was only available in the summer.

I have made good friends with one neighbor, but she's still working on her yard. That won't be ready for another month. I do like that idea a lot. There are some neighbors with yards 1' high with weeds. I want to let Hercules graze on those, but I'm not sure how to phrase that to the home owner. :) That would be a win-win, they'd get weed control and Hercules would love it!!