Where do I measure the temps?

Kvmommy

Ok I have a question. I finally received my temp gun...I live in HI and it took a while to get here. So it averages 83 degrees in my house, we have a MVB and I had a hard time getting an accurate measurement of the heat. So now that I have a heat gun, the coolest part is 81 degrees, it's 87 degrees under the lamp in the substrate, 107 on the hide and 79 degrees inside the hide. My tortoise shell basking under the lamp is 101. So...can someone tell me exactly what the temps should be on the surfaces rather than then the ambient temperatures? Are mine too cold which is why my little one isn't doing well? Thanks.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
scotland
hi there, what kind of tort do you have? I believe all temps are recorded at tort hight. have you raed the care sheet for your little one, temps should be in there.

great investment with the temp gun btw!

Kvmommy

I did read it but I'm not sure exactly where I'm measuring. Is the temp under the basking light measured on the substrate, ambient air or let's say a basking rock. Because the rock is much hotter than the substrate. But if a tortoise is on the rock it's getting much hotter than if on the substrate. But the temps hitting the shell would technically be the same. I know I'm over thinking this! Lol but my baby, oh and it's a month and half old Sulcata is not doing well, and her clutch mate who had the same shared environment until recently is doing perfect. So im trying to figure out the best thing. And at night the ambient temp is warmer than the substrate temp so I don't know if I need bump my night temps up too.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
im new to torts and dont have near enough experience to give you a definitive answer :( . i would say temp of substrate should be the gauge.

I understand what you're saying about rock under light, unless its a flip hazard I don't think i'd worry... if its too hot/cold your 'lill one would simply not sit on it I guess.

if you post up some pics it will hopefully aid members to advise. also do you soak regularly?

Sosakan

Warning, I'm a noob, so take this for what it is worth.

107 on top of a hide seems excessive to me, where is it placed? My basking/feeding rock gets to 102 max and that's under the mvb. I have a hermanns and a new heat gun ;P and my temps are thus...89-95 basking area substrate, 103 basking rock, 80 in the warm area and 65-70 in the cool area. I would THINK if you had similar temps you'd be ok.

Torts need a hot basking area a cool and warm area in order to regulate and digest, if your tort is eating and active and has a cool area to chill in it should be fine....I hope ;)

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Your baby Sulcata needs a minimum 80F temp. This is the substrate level temp. Your temps sound good. I have heat pads on the wall of my hides where they sleep. They can move closer or farther away from it. I do not like to get readings under 80 anywhere. For a sick tortoise I would bump that to 85-88F. Remember with high temps to keep the little one well hydrated. Soak at least daily.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If measuring surface temps, they need to be measured at tortoise height. I like to place a rock that is about the size of the tortoise under the basking lamp for a couple hours and then temp it. If its too hot or cold, adjust the height of the fixture until you get it right.

If your enclosure has an open top, you are going to get a lot of evaporative cooling and instability in there, which is not good for babies.

How was this tortoise started in its first few weeks? Was it soaked daily? What substrate?

Kvmommy

I don't know how it was started, I believe they were hatched naturally and raised outside. Since we got them, at 1 mo. They have been on eco earth. I soaked them 4 times a week the first week then every day. Now twice daily for the sick one. My hygrometer is off but I pour water into the substrate and mix it up and then I have a pile of peat moss in the hide and in the corner that I keep moist at all times. I moved Sprinkles into my small chameleon cage just because I can control the environment better. It had glass front and back and top, sides are screened. It's small but she doesn't move a lot. They also go outside in the morning and evening for at least 15 minutes for grazing. Usually they get a lot more than that. In the afternoon if I take them out I make sure I put them in the shade but they can go out in the sun if they want but Sprinkles doesn't like it when it's that hot, Storm doesn't mind.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You may want to post a picture of the enclosure to help with your problem. It sounds like your light is shining directly on your hide.

If both torts are being housed together then bullying may contribute to the problem.