Where do Cherryheads originate from?

NDevon

Location (City and/or State)
North Devon, UK
i though this would be an easy question to answer and been searching for a few hours but nothing really coming up, I have read a bit that says Venezuela but not sure that's correct.

Anyone know if there are specific areas where Cherryheads are from, or maybe are more prevalent?

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Thanks, I thought it was going to leave it at 'Brazil' but does break down likely locales later in the document.

It does raise as many questions as it answers to be honest, everything I had read until now said 'rainforest' - if that document is correct then in the wild they live anywhere near a rainforest!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks, I thought it was going to leave it at 'Brazil' but does break down likely locales later in the document.

It does raise as many questions as it answers to be honest, everything I had read until now said 'rainforest' - if that document is correct then in the wild they live anywhere near a rainforest!
Yellowfoots live mainly in the rainforest.
Northerns habitat Savannahs and on the perimeter of rainforest.
Brazilians are South of the Amazon river in Brazil, habitats are Savannahs and dryer woodlands at times. I said all that with confidence, but not really:D. @,cdmay will give you a very good insight on this subject.

NDevon

North Devon, UK
I'm wondering if it's all wrong and actually they live on the beach, I think I will change the substrate for sand, build a dune, stick in a deckchair and parasol and create a big pool with a tidal flow system!

Spent weeks building something to keep the littluns in an environment [not at all because I can't make stuff] like a rainforest, and they live in a savannah and dry woodland!

I'm wondering about outdoor enclosures for later, wondered how I could possibly emulate a rainforest, seems maybe I don't have to, although not yet sure what they would need outside, seems a bit daunting but ats a long way off yet.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I'm wondering if it's all wrong and actually they live on the beach, I think I will change the substrate for sand, build a dune, stick in a deckchair and parasol and create a big pool with a tidal flow system!

Spent weeks building something to keep the littluns in an environment [not at all because I can't make stuff] like a rainforest, and they live in a savannah and dry woodland!

I'm wondering about outdoor enclosures for later, wondered how I could possibly emulate a rainforest, seems maybe I don't have to, although not yet sure what they would need outside, seems a bit daunting but ats a long way off yet.
Keep going with what you are doing. I imagine they also live in parts of the rainforest. I'm not sure anyone knows everything about their habitat. They cover a vast varied range. If you can, get the book, South American Tortoise, by Vinke , Vetter .
An excellent read.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Some very good reads ........

The Cerrados of Brazil: Ecology and Natural History of a Neotropical Savanna
Paulo S. Oliveira
Robert J. Marquis
Copyright Date: 2002
Published by: Columbia University Press
Pages: 424
Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7312/oliv12042

http://www.jstor.org/stable/10.7312/oliv12042

and another .......

English version - Convention on Biological Diversity
www.cbd.int/doc/world/br/br-nr-05-en.pdf
Fifth National Report to the Convention on Biological Diversity: Brazil. ...... Figure 8: Percent population with access to water supply systems and wastewater .... addressed by Action Plans (clear green) by taxonomic group of the Brazilian fauna.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I remember posting a map somewhere in a thread like this. South America has many many different ecosystem zones. Northern Brazilian will be more tropical living specimens. Your gran Chaco (Bolivian and southern cherry heads) will be the largest of the clads and more scrub evergreen new tropical dry forests. However where the gran Chaco and south brazilians and even Paraguayan types come from there is some tropical rainforests that divide the two regions. It's very difficult and for sure not easy to establish a one main type where they come from. Some are wet forests, dry forests, neo tropical, full tropical, etc..

NDevon

North Devon, UK
Thanks for all your tips, and I will definitely do some reading so thanks for the details of the book Anyfoot and he links to the documents N2TORTS.

One of the reasons I wanted to know more specifically where they come from is I'm picking up another littlun on Wednesday and want a name for it. I liked the idea of naming it after somewhere it's long distant relatives may have originated from. And no I don't mean Petsmart :p I wanted something a bit different and thought this would be a nice way of naming, the other two littluns my kids named, sweet names but this one is mine, I want to choose. This set me off on some research (anything other than housework eh!) and I got to here.