when will my tortoise lay eggs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Akronic said:
are you in some BFE country where they dont have a super market and you can just buy spring mix salad in a bag.......those options you are presenting are really not the best choice.

I think the poster lives in Egypt... See his post just before yours-- "i'm not sure we have clover in Egypt"

Mayar, your tortoises NEED a better variety than just lettuce. At the very least, start giving arugula in addition to the lettuce so they have a little bit of variety. Otherwise, look around at your local markets and make a list of what greens you CAN get. All of them! Once you have a list, start going on websites like the one linked above (Russiantortoise.org) and this one: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp to see whether the different greens are good ones to feed your tortoise. You can also use the Search function to search Tortoise Forum to find info on a particular green.

If you can't find information on a green on these lists or on this forum, then post a thread in the Diet and Food section (if it comes to this, pictures help a lot with figuring out what it is), or search the web for alternate names used for that green (for example, Arugula is also called Rocket in some areas/countries) and search the lists/forum for that name.

Find out the names of some of the native plants/weeds in your area, especially those growing in your yard or other areas that you KNOW are not treated with any kinds of chemicals (i.e. pesticides, herbicides), and do searches for those. Here in the USA, dandelions and plantain are two common garden weeds that are prolific through most the country. Many, many people will collect dandelions and other edible weeds from their yards and other safe areas to help feed their tortoises. I'm sure Egypt has a few similar native plants that you can do the same thing with, once you find out what there is and whether it's safe.

Some things to watch for that are good tortoise food: Collard greens, Turnip greens, Mustard greens, Endive, Escarole, DIFFERENT KINDS of lettuce (you should never feed only lettuce, but you can help make a good diet if you use a few different varieties of lettuce in addition to other, good greens), Arugula.

Look at the ingredients lists of pre-packaged salad mixes that you find to see if they are good for your tortoise. The Spring Mix everyone talks about here is a pre-packaged salad mix available in the USA. I believe one of the recommended salad mixes in the UK is called Rocket Salad or something to that effect. You should be able to find a pre-packaged salad there in Egypt that's good for your tortoise, you just have to look for one and read the ingredients lists very carefully.

If all else fails, you can try to grow your own greens and things for your tortoises. You can have planters indoors, in a sunny area of your house, to grow greens and things for your tortoises. For less commonly available greens and veggies, the seeds are often easier to find than the plant. It is easy to grow greens and veggies, whether you have a small yard space to work with, or just a big planter in your house or on your porch.

Sometimes it takes tough love to get them to eat what's right for them. If they refuse to eat anything but the lettuce, take away the lettuce until they do eat. Healthy, or at least mostly healthy, adult tortoises are fine without food for a few days or so. Tortoises are stubborn, and getting picky tortoise to eat new foods is more often than not a battle of wills.

egyptian and proud "mayar"

5 Year Member
Floof said:
Akronic said:
are you in some BFE country where they dont have a super market and you can just buy spring mix salad in a bag.......those options you are presenting are really not the best choice.

I think the poster lives in Egypt... See his post just before yours-- "i'm not sure we have clover in Egypt"

Mayar, your tortoises NEED a better variety than just lettuce. At the very least, start giving arugula in addition to the lettuce so they have a little bit of variety. Otherwise, look around at your local markets and make a list of what greens you CAN get. All of them! Once you have a list, start going on websites like the one linked above (Russiantortoise.org) and this one: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp to see whether the different greens are good ones to feed your tortoise. You can also use the Search function to search Tortoise Forum to find info on a particular green.

If you can't find information on a green on these lists or on this forum, then post a thread in the Diet and Food section (if it comes to this, pictures help a lot with figuring out what it is), or search the web for alternate names used for that green (for example, Arugula is also called Rocket in some areas/countries) and search the lists/forum for that name.

Find out the names of some of the native plants/weeds in your area, especially those growing in your yard or other areas that you KNOW are not treated with any kinds of chemicals (i.e. pesticides, herbicides), and do searches for those. Here in the USA, dandelions and plantain are two common garden weeds that are prolific through most the country. Many, many people will collect dandelions and other edible weeds from their yards and other safe areas to help feed their tortoises. I'm sure Egypt has a few similar native plants that you can do the same thing with, once you find out what there is and whether it's safe.

Some things to watch for that are good tortoise food: Collard greens, Turnip greens, Mustard greens, Endive, Escarole, DIFFERENT KINDS of lettuce (you should never feed only lettuce, but you can help make a good diet if you use a few different varieties of lettuce in addition to other, good greens), Arugula.

Look at the ingredients lists of pre-packaged salad mixes that you find to see if they are good for your tortoise. The Spring Mix everyone talks about here is a pre-packaged salad mix available in the USA. I believe one of the recommended salad mixes in the UK is called Rocket Salad or something to that effect. You should be able to find a pre-packaged salad there in Egypt that's good for your tortoise, you just have to look for one and read the ingredients lists very carefully.

If all else fails, you can try to grow your own greens and things for your tortoises. You can have planters indoors, in a sunny area of your house, to grow greens and things for your tortoises. For less commonly available greens and veggies, the seeds are often easier to find than the plant. It is easy to grow greens and veggies, whether you have a small yard space to work with, or just a big planter in your house or on your porch.

Sometimes it takes tough love to get them to eat what's right for them. If they refuse to eat anything but the lettuce, take away the lettuce until they do eat. Healthy, or at least mostly healthy, adult tortoises are fine without food for a few days or so. Tortoises are stubborn, and getting picky tortoise to eat new foods is more often than not a battle of wills.

we have hyper markets in here of course , we don't have this packed salad mix because no one would buy it here , we prefer the fresh local vegetables from the farmers , maybe i will post some pics of Egypt later . i guess you have a wrong idea , however , i tried arugula the male ate a little bit of it but the female refuses to eat anything except Egyptian lettuce , she is so stubborn and i can't just let her starve
i live in the city so no yards , we live in flats
we have dandelions in Egypt but it didn't grow yet .
we don't import clover since it is not that important
i will try to find anything healthier for my tortoises , people here are not very interested in tortoises they prefer cats and dogs , tortoises are just an ordinary creature here , i will try to post some photos here for the food i can get for them
and thank you akronic for what you said , it reveals who you really are

i will try cactus tomorrow , it is easy to get , hope she would eat it

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
egyptian and proud "mayar" said:
(snip) i guess you have a wrong idea , however , i tried arugula the male ate a little bit of it but the female refuses to eat anything except Egyptian lettuce , she is so stubborn and i can't just let her starve (snip)

i will try cactus tomorrow , it is easy to get , hope she would eat it

First, make sure the cactus you're getting is a safe one. There's hundreds of different species of cactus, and they are not all the same. The cactus we refer to here is prickly pear cactus, also known as Opuntia or Nopales. There are other good, safe cactuses, but there are also very toxic ones, so make sure the one you're getting is not toxic.

If it is being sold for human consumption, then it is probably safe. There are still other small issues to look into about produce, though, that can cause problems for tortoises, like the oxalic acid that makes spinach an inappropriate food as more than a treat, but the main thing is to make sure you're not poisoning your tortoises.

Anyway, to the first comment I quoted: TOUGH LOVE!!! You can't just offer a food ONCE, say "Oh, they didn't eat it, oh well!" and never try again. Tortoises are STUBBORN. They are used to lettuce, which tastes "good" to them. They WILL often refuse to eat new-to-them foods, and it is up to YOU to get them to realize that the new food is healthy for them.

TAKE AWAY THE LETTUCE. Only offer Arugula and other healthy greens. Don't give them back the lettuce until they start eating the arugula or whatever other healthier food willingly. A healthy adult tortoise can go without food for a full week, denying lettuce for a few days or so to get them eating something HEALTHIER will not kill them.

After they give in and start eating the Arugula, you can start re-introducing the lettuce SLOWLY. Not all at once, and not as much as you used to give them. If you just give them a giant pile of lettuce the day after they finally eat the good stuff, they'll go right back to their old routine.

After they're consistently eating the good stuff for around a week, start adding small amounts of lettuce. You still want to balance their diet, so you want a mix of greens not just one, but you don't want to give them the choice to go right back to eating only lettuce.

Reptiles are STUBBORN. To give you an idea of just how stubborn they can be: I fought (and won, finally!) with my bearded dragon lizard for 3 years to get him to take any salad at all (they are omnivores, and supposed to eat mostly salad as adults). Getting a tortoise to eat a bigger variety of greens will be a hundred times easier than my war with the Dragon, but it's the same exact concept. The way you win a war against a stubborn reptile is to be stubborn yourself! It comes down to a battle of WILLS. Who can hold out the longest before giving in. You WILL NOT win if you give in after ONE DAY.

The fact of the matter is, your tortoises will NOT be healthy if you only feed them lettuce. Also a fact, your tortoises will most likely NOT start to eat other, less appealing but HEALTHIER greens unless you withhold their precious lettuce. For your tortoises' sake, please start showing them some tough love. Stop giving up after the first try!

Okay--rant done--the other thing I was going to say was about growing plants. That really sucks that you have no yard, I'm sorry to hear that. Yards are so nice to have. But do you have space in your flat, near a sunny window, where you could put a few big planters? Like I said in my last post, it is an option to grow your own greens inside the house. You don't need a yard to grow plants, just a big enough planter in a sunny area of your flat. Or even just a big enough planter with grow lights over it, if you don't have any nice sunny spots in the house.

5 Year Member
we own another villa , but we don't live in it the whole time , i can make my father plant something for them
but i don't see that it is so important since i can buy the vegetables from the farmers , and about the cactus that is the type i can give them

Attachments

• 250px-Lightmatter_cactus.jpg
    250px-Lightmatter_cactus.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 18

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
On the cactus--Good, Opuntia cactus is very good for them.

On growing plants-- The reason I suggested it is because, from what you've told us so far, the selection of good, tortoise-healthy greens where you are is very slim. You've told us you can get lettuce, arugula, parsley, coriander, and spinach, if I remember correctly, and made it sound like those are your ONLY options (sorry if that was a misunderstanding). Only two of those (lettuce and arugula) are good as staples in the diet, but you need a lot more variety than just 2 or 3 plants to keep your tortoises healthy.

If you cannot purchase things like Turnip greens, Collard greens, Dandelion greens, Endive, Mustard greens, etc from local farmers, then your best bet is to grow them yourself so you can provide a good, varied diet for your tortoises.

You've said there are dandelions in Egypt. And collard greens are a very common ingredient in many dishes, so, in theory, they shouldn't be too exotic to find. As far as Turnip Greens, all you need to do is find someone who grows turnips and ask for the leaves (greens). You can do the same if you know someone who grows radishes... The radish leaves (not necessarily the radishes themselves) are good to give, as part of a larger, varied diet.

5 Year Member
Floof said:

On growing plants-- The reason I suggested it is because, from what you've told us so far, the selection of good, tortoise-healthy greens where you are is very slim. You've told us you can get lettuce, arugula, parsley, coriander, and spinach, if I remember correctly, and made it sound like those are your ONLY options (sorry if that was a misunderstanding). Only two of those (lettuce and arugula) are good as staples in the diet, but you need a lot more variety than just 2 or 3 plants to keep your tortoises healthy.

If you cannot purchase things like Turnip greens, Collard greens, Dandelion greens, Endive, Mustard greens, etc from local farmers, then your best bet is to grow them yourself so you can provide a good, varied diet for your tortoises.

You've said there are dandelions in Egypt. And collard greens are a very common ingredient in many dishes, so, in theory, they shouldn't be too exotic to find. As far as Turnip Greens, all you need to do is find someone who grows turnips and ask for the leaves (greens). You can do the same if you know someone who grows radishes... The radish leaves (not necessarily the radishes themselves) are good to give, as part of a larger, varied diet.

turnip is very popular and common here so i can get it for them , but not the collard , i can get them cabbage instead .
we don't use mustard greens in our food so it would be hard to find it here
and i didn't see endive in Egypt before , so i'm not sure it is available here , we don't use this ingredients in our food so i guess farmers are not interested in planting them
i can feed them grape leaves if it is suitable for them , it is a local food here :D and we all love it
and thank you for replying

Floof said:

turnip is very popular and common here so i can get it for them , but not the collard , i can get them cabbage instead .
and i didn't see endive in Egypt before , so i'm not sure it is available here , we don't use this ingredients in our food so i guess farmers are not interested in planting them
i can feed them grape leaves if it is suitable for them , it is a local food here :D and we all love it

i wanted to post some photos for Egypt here , but i guess it is not the suitable forum for doing that so if any one is interested in seeing egypt you can use this words in google photo search " hurghada - aswan - alexandria "where i live :) - cairo - porto marina " those are some of our cities
and you can look for carrefour egypt for hypermarkets :D lol

and we have molokhia too "i don't know if you know it or not" but it is an Egyptian plant

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Cabbage isn't very good for them. It has the same problems as spinach, high in goitrogens and oxalates. A bit here and there won't hurt, but it shouldn't be a big part of their diet.

Grape leaves are great! And it's good that you can get turnip greens, they are great tortoise food.

If I remember correctly, Endive, as well as a few other tortoise-friendly greens (Escarole, Radicchio) are varieties of Chicory, which is generally good tortoise food. Maybe one or a few of those are used under the name Chicory there?

I have never heard of molokhia, and it doesn't look like it goes under a different common name here in the states, so I don't know if that is safe for your tortoises.

Actually, there is a forum here for your pictures of Egypt. The "All Other Photos" forum, toward the bottom of the main forum list, is specially for posting non-tortoise related photos. :)

5 Year Member
Floof said:
Cabbage isn't very good for them. It has the same problems as spinach, high in goitrogens and oxalates. A bit here and there won't hurt, but it shouldn't be a big part of their diet.

Grape leaves are great! And it's good that you can get turnip greens, they are great tortoise food.

If I remember correctly, Endive, as well as a few other tortoise-friendly greens (Escarole, Radicchio) are varieties of Chicory, which is generally good tortoise food. Maybe one or a few of those are used under the name Chicory there?

I have never heard of molokhia, and it doesn't look like it goes under a different common name here in the states, so I don't know if that is safe for your tortoises.

Actually, there is a forum here for your pictures of Egypt. The "All Other Photos" forum, toward the bottom of the main forum list, is specially for posting non-tortoise related photos. :)

i fed my tortoises cactus 5 mins ago , the both ate it and it is a miracle , my girl never eats anything but lettuce so i'm impressed but they didn't eat much of it not even half the quantity they eat when i offer lettuce
molokhia is a very delicious vegetable , i LOVE it , i don't think you have it in the states , Japanese began to eat it lately , it is very healthy for human but i don't know what about tortoises .
i will look for the chicory , i know it but it will be a little bit hard to get a fresh one
and there is something else , i heard that tortoises can eat flowers , so i wander if this flower is suitable for them

and i will post some photos for Egypt now

Attachments

• 180512-1123(001).jpg
    180512-1123(001).jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 18

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Oh good! That's definitely a good start. And don't forget, when you try Arugula and other things again, don't give up after the first try. Withhold their lettuce until they eat the new stuff. They won't starve themselves, and they'll be so much better off once they're eating a varied diet instead of just lettuce.

Yes, tortoises can eat some flowers, and usually the leaves of the plant, too. Hibiscus and Rose are a couple very notable ones, just make sure they haven't been treated with any chemicals (pesticides, fertilizer, etc). They also like squash blooms. Squash blooms are sold and eaten as a delicacy in some places, maybe you can find it for sale there? Otherwise, find a farmer who grows squash and ask if he's willing to sell some of his extra squash blooms.

Flowers are more of a treat, not something to give as a large part of their diet, but it will help you to give them a more varied diet while you find more appropriate greens.

I don't recognize that flower, do you have any pictures of the whole plant?

Also, you can look at the link I posted earlier to find more edible plants and flowers. Here's that link again: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp The plant database has information on many different plants, including house plants, wild plants, etc. Great resource.

5 Year Member
Floof said:
Oh good! That's definitely a good start. And don't forget, when you try Arugula and other things again, don't give up after the first try. Withhold their lettuce until they eat the new stuff. They won't starve themselves, and they'll be so much better off once they're eating a varied diet instead of just lettuce.

Yes, tortoises can eat some flowers, and usually the leaves of the plant, too. Hibiscus and Rose are a couple very notable ones, just make sure they haven't been treated with any chemicals (pesticides, fertilizer, etc). They also like squash blooms. Squash blooms are sold and eaten as a delicacy in some places, maybe you can find it for sale there? Otherwise, find a farmer who grows squash and ask if he's willing to sell some of his extra squash blooms.

Flowers are more of a treat, not something to give as a large part of their diet, but it will help you to give them a more varied diet while you find more appropriate greens.

I don't recognize that flower, do you have any pictures of the whole plant?
i knew its name , it is petunias

Also, you can look at the link I posted earlier to find more edible plants and flowers. Here's that link again: http://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp The plant database has information on many different plants, including house plants, wild plants, etc. Great resource.

you've been very helpful , thank you
and about the flower i got that pic from the internet , it is the one i have
and about the cactus , about 10 thorns hurt my hand , and i couldn't remove all of it from the cactus yet , will it harm the tortoises??
and the cactus make them sleepy , the sleep right after eating it

Attachments

• purple-flowers.jpg
    purple-flowers.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 12

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
The flowers look like Petunias? In which case they are OK as a treat, again, as long as they haven't been treated with any chemicals. :)

I've seen people on here say they burn the spines off their cactus. If you hold it over (not in) a flame, then the spines should burn off. I've never tried that... Usually I go in and cut out the spines with a knife. But I also get mine at the grocery store, and they're usually pretty well de-spined by the time they get to the stores here. A few little spines here and there shouldn't hurt your tortoises, but you do want to get off as many as possible, especially the big ones.

And, you're welcome! I'm glad I could be of help!

MarcaineArt

5 Year Member
Floof said:

Floof said:

i wanted to post some photos for Egypt here , but i guess it is not the suitable forum for doing that so if any one is interested in seeing egypt you can use this words in google photo search " hurghada - aswan - alexandria "where i live :) - cairo - porto marina " those are some of our cities
and you can look for carrefour egypt for hypermarkets :D lol

and we have molokhia too "i don't know if you know it or not" but it is an Egyptian plant

Maybe you could get the variety of things that you do not use in your cooking by asking the farmers for the cut offs. You know if people eat the vegetable but not the greens the farmers must cut them off so people don't buy something they wouldn't eat. If they just throw these away maybe they would bring some to the market for you for free or I bet they would be thrilled to get a little bit of money for the things they throw away.

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
MarcaineArt said:
Maybe you could get the variety of things that you do not use in your cooking by asking the farmers for the cut offs. You know if people eat the vegetable but not the greens the farmers must cut them off so people don't buy something they wouldn't eat. If they just throw these away maybe they would bring some to the market for you for free or I bet they would be thrilled to get a little bit of money for the things they throw away.

Exactly. This is probably going to be the best way to get your hands on Turnip greens, if turnips are popular in your country. Squash blooms, too, if you can find a farmer with an overabundance. You can also look into radish tops (leaves) if radishes are pretty common around there, they make a good addition to your tortoises' diet, too.

Also, I forgot in my last post. You mentioned Collards and Mustard greens are not commonly used in Egypt and therefore hard to find? That's exactly what I was talking about when I suggested growing your own earlier. Even though you can't find the actual plants at produce markets, you should at least be able to find the seeds, then you can grow them yourself to give to your tortoises.

5 Year Member
i don't know who can i get the seeds , i don't even know what they are called in Arabic :) , i will try to see some pictures for those vegetables .
my male tortoise ate the flower , he liked it a looooot :)
i will try to buy some turnip greens and we of course have radish tops here , and i already offered some to them but they refused to eat it :( , i will give it another try later
i will try to give them some , i hope they will always be healthy and bring some cutie baby tortoises :D

i was searching for hibiscus and found this flower , is that what you mean by hibiscus???? i can get them tons of that . it is the most commen flower here everhttp://www.google.com.eg/imgres?um=...8&start=50&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:50,i:294

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Again, tough love.If they refuse to eat the new food, take away their lettuce until they do. Just keep offering fresh radish tops, arugula, or whatever it is you're trying every day. They won't starve themselves, and it's really sounding like taking away the lettuce completely is the only way you're going to be able to get them to start eating new foods.

I'm glad you're trying to get them on a proper diet. :) As long as you're taking care of them right, they will probably breed for you eventually! Remember to make sure they have a big enough enclosure, proper substrate (bedding), fresh water at all times, the proper UVB lighting, proper temperatures, and at least one area of nice, deep dirt for the female to lay eggs in, if they do breed! If you haven't already, you can post a new topic down in the Enclosures section of your tortoises' home and we can help you figure out if you're doing things right, and what needs to be changed/improved.

5 Year Member
i don't know who can i get the seeds , i don't even know what they are called in Arabic :) , i will try to see some pictures for those vegetables .
my male tortoise ate the flower , he liked it a looooot :)
i will try to buy some turnip greens and we of course have radish tops here , and i already offered some to them but they refused to eat it :( , i will give it another try later
i will try to give them some , i hope they will always be healthy and bring some cutie baby tortoises :D

i was searching for hibiscus and found this flower , is that what you mean by hibiscus???? i can get them tons of that . it is the most commen flower here everhttp://www.google.com.eg/imgres?um=...8&start=50&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:24,s:50,i:294

i thought the hibiscus was the roselle :) that is why i thought that i can't get fresh ones

and i used to fed them bamia , i guess you call it okra . but they didn't eat much of it so i stopped giving it to them

my mom will think that i got out of my mind if i offered all of that care to my tortoise , as i said before tortoises are not so important creatures here unfortunately and we don't even have shops which sell the tortoises supplies , the only kind of tortoises which get some care here is the Egyptian tortoises because they are about to extinct , and we don't even rise it at homes because it is illegal "in fact some don't care about laws and do raise it at their homes" . i will do my best to offer a suitable life for my tortoises but i'm sure that non of my family will let me get them the Enclosures and the incubators . :(

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Sorry, I missed that part of your post. Yes, that looks like hibiscus. You can feed them both the flowers and the leaves. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.