When is a good time to get a Sulcata tortoise a mate.

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Can you tell us about your tortoise? Age, size, gender, habitat, diet, location. Give us some background and we can give you a proper answer.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Never. They don't have mates. They have opportunistic sex. If the opportunity is endless, it's a world of hurt and sorrow for the female. They don't need friends and companions. If you do get a second, be prepared to separate them permanently.

If you want to breed them, please don't. There are already more hatchlings than good homes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jared, and welcome to the Forum!

If you have the space to make two separate enclosures of a good size each, then you can get another tortoise any time. There should be a quarantine period before you ever put them together - at least 3 months. Then keep each in their own yard, only putting the male in with the female to breed, then back he goes into his own yard.

But I have to warn you...once he's gotten a taste of breeding, he will never again be satisfied to be the calm and friendly pet you've been enjoying. He'll be pacing the fence line, trying to climb and ramming it to break it down, trying to get to her.

Tortoises are solitary animals and they don't want or need another tortoise to be happy.

The 1/1 ratio is very hard on the one female tortoise. That's why I suggested two separate yards for them.

puffy137

Hi Jared, and welcome to the Forum!

If you have the space to make two separate enclosures of a good size each, then you can get another tortoise any time. There should be a quarantine period before you ever put them together - at least 3 months. Then keep each in their own yard, only putting the male in with the female to breed, then back he goes into his own yard.

But I have to warn you...once he's gotten a taste of breeding, he will never again be satisfied to be the calm and friendly pet you've been enjoying. He'll be pacing the fence line, trying to climb and ramming it to break it down, trying to get to her.

Tortoises are solitary animals and they don't want or need another tortoise to be happy.

The 1/1 ratio is very hard on the one female tortoise. That's why I suggested two separate yards for them.
Thank goodness for polite innocuous decorus presently brumating GREEKS . All from the same family.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just asking

I want more clarification on what you are asking here.

Do you mean at what age (it goes by size not age...) are they able to reproduce?
Do you mean what time of year should they be introduced?
Do you mean what is the optimal size they should be before introduction?

What is it you are getting at? They should never be housed in pairs, if that helps.

argus333

5 Year Member
do u have a male? if so he's better off alone. but females seem to be fine together. if u have the room and space. i agree pairs are not good better of with 1 male and 3 females and even then keep male separate. but then u will be buried in eggs.