What's the difference in enclosures for...

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Hi, it's been awhile since I've been on the forums, but I still have my little guys! I realize the need to redo some of my enclosures, as my little Leopard, Lilo, hasn't grown one single bit in the last year. I didn't realize how much time had flown untiL I just found my old notebook that was lost for nearly a year, and saw the last weight I recorded (blush), and then hunted down old photos... Seriously, Lilo hasn't grown in length or weight in one full year. :(

I got him as a very young, new hatching April 2013. The first few months I could notice good smooth growth, and was keeping his tank fairly humid. Midwest winters and other things... whatever... things just got a bit dryer, although he's always been a self soaker and soaks himself daily so I guess I didn't give it much thought.

I took photos of him next to my little Marginated, Taco. As you can see, Taco has had superb growth over the last year! The first photo was last July (Lilo left, Taco right), the second photo was taken yesterday, one year later (Taco left, Lilo right)... (NO, they are NOT housed together. I put them next to each other for photos when I took them outside for sun, which I try to do as often as I can - outside sun, that is, not photos, LOL!)

lilotaco2013_zps176cf6dd.jpg

lilotaco2014_zps0a58c6de.jpg

I have looked at the caresheet on the Leopard site, and have recreated that with closed chamber as best I can, so hopefully that will help. Since we can't use age as a factor here (since he's lost a whole year of growth), until what size should I keep him in "hatchling" conditions.

My second question, and this is why I'm putting it in the general section, is this... I am also redoing my Cherryfoot's enclosure. She has had GREAT growth, but I know it's been dry for her because, well... it's dry in there, and her eyes are always watery these days... so trying the close chamber thing for her too. She HAS had great growth. I got her in September, and was told she was actually already near a year but had a really rocky start and had to be rehabbed. I've not had any problems with her, and she's grown wonderfully for me, as you can see from the photos. She's now just hit the 4" mark in size.
20130904_101826_zps740de91f.jpg

20140722_095501_zpsbf2b0c39.jpg

My question is this... it sure seems like I'm setting up Lilo the Leopard's closed chamber enclosure, and Willow the Cherryhead's almost exactly the same, as far as... well, almost EVERYTHING. Is this correct? Well, aside from diet, of course - but as far as temps, humidity, types of hides... all of that is pretty much the same for the two, right?

Humidity seems like a PITA, I'm worried about it getting TOO humid in there.. The humidity gauge in Lilo's tank right now says 90%... Thinking that's a tad too high, I've opened just the edge to air it a little but am sacrificing some of the heat. ??? Sides of both cages are simply dripping wet. Suggestions? Right now, both are in SEPARATE 30 gall breeders. I've used pieces of coroplast over the top to close it up... using separate pieces so I can slide a piece off when I need to get into the tank or ventilate a bit...

Thanks for your input!

PS I'm sad I missed the mark on poor little Lilo! I have an older Leopard that I've had since he was about 3", he's now 9.5", my Hermann's that I've had since he was a hatchling is now fully grown with nice smooth shell, as you can see the Marginated and Cherryhead are growing so well... Lilo has just proven to be a bit more difficult for me... :(

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Four things work together to make a happy, healthy tortoise - a nice VARIETY of the proper food items, exercise, real sunshine or UVB/heat and moisture/humidity.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Hi again, so I'm wondering if anyone could answer my questions. :)
The first was, is it right that my Leo hatchling "closed chamber" enclosure seems to be set up the same as my 4" cherryhead's (as far as humidity, temps, lighting, etc)?
How long do Leo hatchlings need this type of set up (with the higher humidity)... how long as in, until what size?
What about the Cherryhead? Will this type of set up (only increasing in size) continue to meet her needs as she gets bigger?
Is it is a problem with the sides are really drippy (even the lid dripping down a bit), even though the gauge reads around 80 - 85% humidity?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Okay, the leopard should stay within the closed chamber until around 2 years. So, you kinda lost a year, so I would do it for at least two more, or unless, he starts to catch up good. I would also get him outside as often as possible for sunshine and let him graze and sleep at night in the closed chamber. Adding Mazuri to his diet a couple times a week will,help to put some growth on him too.
The RF and Leo closed chamber is similar. The RF is more prone to shell rot, so you need to keep the top layers of substrate dry for the RF as to not promote shell rot.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Anastasia

5 Year Member
Okay, the leopard should stay within the closed chamber until around 2 years. So, you kinda lost a year, so I would do it for at least two more, or unless, he starts to catch up good. I would also get him outside as often as possible for sunshine and let him graze and sleep at night in the closed chamber. Adding Mazuri to his diet a couple times a week will,help to put some growth on him too.
The RF and Leo closed chamber is similar. The RF is more prone to shell rot, so you need to keep the top layers of substrate dry for the RF as to not promote shell rot.
Hope this helps, good luck.

Thanks! I do have Mazuri that I give a couple of times a week, so YAY doing something right! LOL!