Whats on my face?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xander

5 Year Member
We have had this little guy for a few months now, and we have noticed that he has some black stuff on his face. Can't really remember if he had it on face when we got him. Does anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it? I have read that it could be mouth rott or oxidation due to diet? Any input would be great.

Attachments

• Xander2011 025.JPG
    Xander2011 025.JPG
    708.8 KB · Views: 107

Xander

5 Year Member
No... LOL!! He just got done eating a dandelion. The "black/green" stuff is what I'm concerned about? Seems to be a "stain" of sorts, possibly from food???? I know eating his own poo is normal, and do catch him doing it when not removed in time. Could that be cause of color? He goes outside everyday, eats grass and weeds and LOVES TO EAT.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
It does look like stain from plants he has eaten, but now that you mention it, it could be from the feces he eats, too. It's true that tortoises do eat feces in the wild, but I think this is usually from other animals (like goats, for example), not their own. If I don't clean up after my guys, they still don't eat their own scat, so I wonder if your guy is getting the right vegetation. Is he getting enough grass in his diet?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
My little guy very occasionally shows any interest in his own poop. I caught him one time sniffing then biting at it then walked away. However on a supervised trip outdoors he tried very hard to eat a dog turd I missed, lol but it was too big and too hard for him to bite into thank goodness and I moved him right away.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
My vote is for the poo! Gotta get it before he does :p Who knows maybe it tastes better the second time around! :p YUCK!

Xander

5 Year Member
Ya, gotta try and keep up with him.. So fast:tort:;)
See if I can get it before he does, and hopefully get rid of the discoloration.

Thanks everyone, good to hear its nothing to worry about.

GeoTarraTestudo- Lately he seems to be only eating: Dandelions/leaves themsleves, another weed in backyard, not sure what it is, clovers, other weeds in yard. He doesn't seem to be eating the grass as much as before. Not sure if thats a problem? Also give him lettuce, strawberry tops occassionally.
He goes out everyday, and we just let him wonder and graze in the yard.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What is it with tortoises and dog poop?
I am not referring to xander, but to other people's torts who like to eat poop

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
dmmj said:
What is it with tortoises and dog poop?
I am not referring to xander, but to other people's torts who like to eat poop

In the wild, turtles may eat dung to supplement their diet with additional nutrients. However, they may also contract parasites. That's why, even if it comes naturally to them, they should not be allowed to be coprophagous in captivity.

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
I notice sometimes my Captain Jack's face will get like that when he's inside, but after a long outdoor session, his face is clean again.

Status
Not open for further replies.