What variety is my tortoise?

Tumbleweed

Hi,

We got our new, 2 year old tortoise this week, but we don't have any idea what variety he is. It would be lovely if anyone could let us know what Tumbleweed might be.

Thanks!IMG_20170331_101637581.jpg IMG_20170328_161424006.jpg

Tumbleweed

In case it's useful... we live in Cyprus. Tumbleweed was given to us by a friend who has a mating pair living in his yard. His parents just happened to find both the male and female (at different times) and brought them home many years ago.
Any ideas what kind of tortoises might live wild in Cyprus?

Tumbleweed

Hi Enzot91,

Thanks. Here is a pic of his tummy. (Like learning the new jargon: plastron!)
What do you think?

IMG_20170401_162309296.jpg

Tumbleweed

And I say "his tummy" but it might be "her" for all I know. I am reading about notches and tail lengths now. ;-)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome,
I'm no expert on tortoise species but given your location maybe a Greek?
If you check the Greek thread in species specific there maybe some pics to compare him with.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's so hard for me to tell when they're just babies. Let's send a shout-out to @HermanniChris - He's very good at I.D.ing tortoise species.

Tumbleweed

HermanniChris, you are a legend! Thanks so much.
I'm off to read on the species-specific section now. xx

Chanchara

Cyprus, Croatia
Good morning, glad to meet you!
I also live in Cyprus, in Ayia Napa.
I have Hermanns and Indian tortoises.

As far as I know, land tortoises are not found in the wild on the island, and all Greek torts are brought from Turkey.
If you go to the northern part of Cyprus, there the tortoises are very cheap. For example, in the autumn I bought an adult female for my friend for 15 euros.But it is interesting that the Greeks and Hermanns perfectly winter in Cyprus conditions and there are no difficulties in their content.
There is no need for a terrarium, you can simply keep them in the garden.

Tumbleweed

Hi Chanchara,
So lovely to speak to a fellow local! I live near Kofinou (between Larnaca & Lemesos) but my friend who has the breeding pair is just south of Lefkosia and that is where his parents found the tortoises. I assumed that they were wild, but I guess they must have been abandoned by their original owners?... as you say the climate in Cyprus is good for them to live outside, so they may very well have been feral for a few years on their own.
Tumbleweed has a big outdoor enclosure and we've made hi several "houses" to hide in and for hibernation during the winter. How many tortoises do you have?

Pawciorc

Malta
At the first picture you have a no feed weed served!!! You probaby confuse it with clover while it is oxalys.