What UVB bulb should I go with?

CXR

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL.
The time has come and I'm getting a RT in 5 days :D Still, so many options I can't decide which bulb to get, wanted to hear everyone's recommendations and opinions on different bulbs & lamps.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
Is your russian tortoise a hatchling or a wild caught adult? Are you going to house it indoors only? If it's a WC adult, and you put it outside for sun several times a week, you may not need artificial uvb. If you get a hatchling and you're not able to take it outside to often, I personally like MVB's (Mercury vapor bulb.) The rt's don't pyramid like other species do. The most common mistake is to overfeed them. They'll eat like pigs and after a while they'll have unnatural shell growth.
*Disclaimer* these are just my opinions

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
It's 3, at least that's what I've been told, and captive bred, and male.
The reason I asked about the age it that an older tortoise's bones have grown to the point that there is little chance of metabolic bone disease. To answer your question, as far as supplemental uvb, I like MVB for uv and heat. I also believe that nothing will replace the benefits of natural sunlight, but we all don't live in an area where that's feasible all the time. I don't like the coiled uvb bulbs, due to the chance of eye injuries. Good luck on your new tortoise.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that for night time heat I go with a CHE bulb. It provides heat but doesn't produce any light. Whatever you decide to do test your temperatures throughout the day and night to see if it's optimal. Too cold inside your enclosure they'll get lethargic and won't eat or poop, too hot and they will hide all day waiting for it to "cool off."
There is a ton of information on this forum. Read the care sheets, and read what has worked for others.

CXR

Chicago, IL.
The reason I asked about the age it that an older tortoise's bones have grown to the point that there is little chance of metabolic bone disease. To answer your question, as far as supplemental uvb, I like MVB for uv and heat. I also believe that nothing will replace the benefits of natural sunlight, but we all don't live in an area where that's feasible all the time. I don't like the coiled uvb bulbs, due to the chance of eye injuries. Good luck on your new tortoise.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention that for night time heat I go with a CHE bulb. It provides heat but doesn't produce any light. Whatever you decide to do test your temperatures throughout the day and night to see if it's optimal. Too cold inside your enclosure they'll get lethargic and won't eat or poop, too hot and they will hide all day waiting for it to "cool off."
There is a ton of information on this forum. Read the care sheets, and read what has worked for others.
Alrighty, how would I set up the MVB? Is it fine if I just point it down or put it on an angle, cause I've read that having it on an angle can damage their eyes. And I assume a porcelain lamp wouldn't go well with a MVB?

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I use an MVB, too, though some say they cause desiccation in tortoises, I've had no problems. The other thing is they need replacing every six months to a year, as though they still shine brightly, they no longer produce enough UVB.
Many prefer to use a strip UVB bulb and separate basking bulb.
If you do decide to go with the MVB, it needs to be pointed straight downwards for optimum effect and to prolong its life.
A Russian tortoise is quite happy with temp drops into the 60's and een higher 50's at night, so you won't need a CHE unless it gets very cold at night where you are.

Clamhandsmcgee

5 Year Member
Tennessee
I use an MVB, too, though some say they cause desiccation in tortoises, I've had no problems. The other thing is they need replacing every six months to a year, as though they still shine brightly, they no longer produce enough UVB.
Many prefer to use a strip UVB bulb and separate basking bulb.
If you do decide to go with the MVB, it needs to be pointed straight downwards for optimum effect and to prolong its life.
A Russian tortoise is quite happy with temp drops into the 60's and een higher 50's at night, so you won't need a CHE unless it gets very cold at night where you are.
They make a fairly low watt CHE bulb to raise the ambient temperatures of the enclosure. I do agree with you, it's probably not necessary for a Russian. I do have one in my sulcata enclosure and for my red foots. As far as straight down with the MVB, apparently it does increase the longevity of the bulb, but I personally have mine at a slight angle. I've adjusted mine so the temperatures are where I want it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The time has come and I'm getting a RT in 5 days :D Still, so many options I can't decide which bulb to get, wanted to hear everyone's recommendations and opinions on different bulbs & lamps.

Hello and welcome.

There are many options of UV bulbs now. It would help to know where you are and what sort of housing you'll be using. If you go into your user profile, you can add your location so that we don't have to ask every time.

Here is all the care info explained:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

I find a single heat lml for indoors works well if the tortoise gets outside for sunshine on a regular basis. You should not need night heat for a 3 year old russian in most indoor housing situations. UV will only be needed if your tortoise rarely gets to go outside, but it doesn't hurt to use it anyway. Tough to make a good recommendation until we know more about your situation and location.