what type of tortoise should i get.

Carson.goss

I live in Houston Texas and am planing on getting a tortoise. We have mid to high humidity where we live, the temp. ranges from mid 30's up to about 100 Fahrenheit. I am looking for a mid to large sized tortoise, no small ones at least 15 inches. some of the species i have looked at are yellow footed,marginated, and burmese black mountain tortoise, I don't want to have to deal with tortoises that burrow too deep thats why i haven't considered a sulcata tortoise. I plan on buying a juvenile and when it gets big enough i will move it outside, my back yard is more than big enough for a big tortoise and has some shade I plan on building a hide for the turtle and if you have any suggestions on the size of the hide for the species of tortoise you suggest please include it. After all of this what species do you suggest?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
all the species you mentioned are not burrowers but have you consiudered leopards? another Factor you did not mention was budget some are a little more expensive than others.

Carson.goss

I live in Houston Texas and am planing on getting a tortoise. We have mid to high humidity where we live, the temp. ranges from mid 30's up to about 100 Fahrenheit. I am looking for a mid to large sized tortoise, no small ones at least 15 inches. some of the species i have looked at are yellow footed,marginated, and burmese black mountain tortoise, I don't want to have to deal with tortoises that burrow too deep thats why i haven't considered a sulcata tortoise. I plan on buying a juvenile and when it gets big enough i will move it outside, my back yard is more than big enough for a big tortoise and has some shade I plan on building a hide for the turtle and if you have any suggestions on the size of the hide for the species of tortoise you suggest please include it. After all of this what species do you suggest?
i forgot to mention i am willing to spend up to $300

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think you can get a juvenile Burmese for 300.

Carson.goss

all the species you mentioned are not burrowers but have you consiudered leopards? another Factor you did not mention was budget some are a little more expensive than others.
the only problem with leopard tortoise is that i have read that they can be prone to disease compared to other torts, is this true?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
the only problem with leopard tortoise is that i have read that they can be prone to disease compared to other torts, is this true?
I'm unaware of what disease they are prone to? would you mind mentioning which ones?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'm, partial to Redfoot tortoises. There are a few examples very nearby that are at least 20". Mine are from 12-15" and most are still very young.
I appreciate the colors and the personality.
For warmth with humidity, it screams Redfoot to me...............

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
I've not heard that Leopards are prone to disease, and I've done a TON of reading on them since I got mine. That by no means is meant to imply that I know everything about them, because I definitely do not, but perhaps you came across some out-dated info? There are a lot of Leopard keepers on this site and lots of good info in the Leopard sub-forum. Check it out, you may end up wanting to reconsider :)

And as ZEROPILOT said, Redfoots are a good choice too...if I ever get another tortoise it will be a redfoot most likely.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
leopards are no more prone to disease than any other tortoise. As long as they are kep twarm they don't get sick simple as that. Thornton a mixture of alligator information and old wives tale. Something I believed as well until several years ago.

TerrapinStation

Detroit, Michigan
When researching what tortoise to get I found a lot of contradicting information..... Seems like most of it is opinion versus fact, but there are a lot of variables to look at.

I wish I would have had this site when we were shopping around.

Good luck

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Have a look at the care sheets pinned to the top of each species' section here to get ab idea about what each tortoise type needs and how they would best fit into your situation.
Anything is possible if you get the set up tight to begin.
Redfoots and leopards do seem suited to what you've mentioned thus far, but there are other options.