What type of tortoise is this ?

thienthoi52

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta, Georgia
Hi, I'm new to the forum and my friend gave me this one yesterday, both me and him have no idea what type is this one. Maybe someone here will know

IMG_0973.JPG

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's a box turtle. Not good on ID the different kinds. If you found it outside, and it is native to where you live, it needs to be placed back where it was found.

Berkeley

It's an eastern box, and in Georgia they are illegal to keep without a permit. If it was captured from the wild it should be returned to where it was picked up, or if it has been a long time pet or came from a different place it should be given over to a nature center or someplace that has a permit to house native wildlife.

--Berkeley

thienthoi52

Atlanta, Georgia
It's an eastern box, and in Georgia they are illegal to keep without a permit. If it was captured from the wild it should be returned to where it was picked up, or if it has been a long time pet or came from a different place it should be given over to a nature center or someplace that has a permit to house native wildlife.

--Berkeley
Thank you for your information, i will have my friend to put it back where it belongs

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Great job guys! Happy to hear that she is back in the wild.

Seeing it on the bed makes me think of how dry these are kept when they are taken out of the wild. People see a "land" turtle and keep it on land and give it a bowl for drinking. These guys need to be so wet, in comparison to what is usually popular belief. That is why there are so many deformed, captive Terrapene out there.

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
Great job guys! Happy to hear that she is back in the wild.

Seeing it on the bed makes me think of how dry these are kept when they are taken out of the wild. People see a "land" turtle and keep it on land and give it a bowl for drinking. These guys need to be so wet, in comparison to what is usually popular belief. That is why there are so many deformed, captive Terrapene out there.
i know and I agree on dryness, I rescued a turtle from spca and she was classified as a tortoise and nothing changed after i told them what's what. they were going to keep her in a metal box with a heat lamp on on a towel for 10 days before releasing and i begged them tearfully so they reduced the hold to 4 days. needless to say I expected more knowledge from spca but turns out they are mostly volunteer based and they kept telling me how they know nothing about anything apologetically :) I will have to join them to give them some help, lol... just so little time :)

the Turtle Shepherd

nowhere
btw, i am pretty sure the box turtle is a hybrid actually. Once hybridized - it is nearly impossible to tell what was mixed, but it does look like an eastern and depending on size, carapace shape etc it is either part gulf coast ( and oddly enough i seem to see a lot of these hybrids lately) or three toe, but... WE WILL NEVER KNOW:) lol :) the thing about turtles most of the time is if the turtle on the first glance looks "Kind of" like is most likely only a hybrid of it :) and before anyone calls me on anything here: yes and it is just an personal opinion based on personal experience and extensive reading :)