What type of soil do you use to grow weeds?

JaySparks

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
London
I've been encountering problems with my weeds staying the same size for months. The person I get my seeds from said that they take 7 days to grow. I've been using a mix of topsoil and cocoir and the weeds sprouts fairly fast but they just stop growing. I'll be growing my weeds indoors from now on.

Alaskamike

South Florida
As far as I know , coco coir will provide no nutrient to the plants. Topsoil , depending on where you get it may also be deficient in nutrient.

They are sprouting due to moisture - not growing due to lack of nutrient or/ and UV.

I use mirical grow soil mix. It works like a charm. You can also mix miricle grow yourself & water with it.

Like everything else alive , plants need nutrients.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
As far as I know , coco coir will provide no nutrient to the plants. Topsoil , depending on where you get it may also be deficient in nutrient.

They are sprouting due to moisture - not growing due to lack of nutrient or/ and UV.

I use mirical grow soil mix. It works like a charm. You can also mix miricle grow yourself & water with it.

Like everything else alive , plants need nutrients.
is it safe to use? is it organic?

Alaskamike

South Florida
The reason I use Miricle Gro crystals dissolved in water is because granulated fertilizers could be eaten by my torts.

There is a bit of disagreement about fertilizers amoung tortoise keepers. Some disavow it entirely. Worried that it could poison the torts.

As I understand & use it
- there are fertilizers that have bug killer mixed in them. Usually called systemic. The bug stuff is pulled up into the plant & bugs don't like it. Could make torts sick too.
- any other regular fertilizer is a mix of nitrogen - potassium -potash , etc. all natural fertilizers for plants. I would not want my torts eating it directly , but see no downside in eating leaves of plants grown with it.
- IMO " Organic " fertilizer is highly overrated. It is just compost / maybe mixed with chicken poop. My caution with compost is you don't know what kind of plants were ground up to make it. Could be oleander or other toxic ones.
- in a tort encloser , I prefer to use liquified mixed fertilizer like Miricle Gro. It soaks into the ground. You can wash it off the leaves easily if you want.

There seems to be an over reactive panic with fertilizers. If you understand how plants pull nutrient from soil to process into growth it makes very little sense.
To me.

JaySparks

5 Year Member
London
The reason I use Miricle Gro crystals dissolved in water is because granulated fertilizers could be eaten by my torts.

There is a bit of disagreement about fertilizers amoung tortoise keepers. Some disavow it entirely. Worried that it could poison the torts.

As I understand & use it
- there are fertilizers that have bug killer mixed in them. Usually called systemic. The bug stuff is pulled up into the plant & bugs don't like it. Could make torts sick too.
- any other regular fertilizer is a mix of nitrogen - potassium -potash , etc. all natural fertilizers for plants. I would not want my torts eating it directly , but see no downside in eating leaves of plants grown with it.
- IMO " Organic " fertilizer is highly overrated. It is just compost / maybe mixed with chicken poop. My caution with compost is you don't know what kind of plants were ground up to make it. Could be oleander or other toxic ones.
- in a tort encloser , I prefer to use liquified mixed fertilizer like Miricle Gro. It soaks into the ground. You can wash it off the leaves easily if you want.

There seems to be an over reactive panic with fertilizers. If you understand how plants pull nutrient from soil to process into growth it makes very little sense.
To me.
what about egg shells as a fertiliser?

Alaskamike

South Florida
There is nothing wrong with egg shells, if the torts nibble on them they just get added calcium.

Tropics

San Diego, CA
The only grass that seemed to thrive on my all coco coir experiment was wheat grass. They can even be ok with no substrate at all. The secret it seems at least in my experience is the keep fertilizer I use. All organic, a bunch of them on amazon if you don't have a store nearby.

For the regular grass/forage mix I got, soil from Home Depot seems the best, they have one with all organic stuff if you want. I tried half soil half coco and they did grow a while, but then it seems they got stunted. This is with the kelp fertilizer too.