What Tortoise Is This?! (video)

englishman116

Hey guys,

This forum is awesome! I have an "urgent" tortoise question and am very glad I found you guys.

I recently saw a video taken at the Taipei Zoo. It was a tortoise saving another tortoise by flipping him/her upright:

I was wondering if you guys knew any of the following:

1) What kind of tortoise is this?
2) Are these tortoises male or female?
3) How could he/she have flipped over?

Thank you in advance!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look to be sulcatas, it flipped by the another tortoise bullying it and flipping it most likely and it's not helping him flip back over, he is still bullying him. They are most likely both males, but that's just a guess, although the one that was flipped looks to have a concaved plastron, so very likely a male.

russian/sulcata/tortoise

5 Year Member
Northern California, bay area
welcome to the forum! those are both sulcata tortoises the 3d largest tortoise species in the world. they are both male, tortoises are very territorial and will try to chase off intruders. I'm sorry to tell you the other male way not rescuing the other tort but just harassing it.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Looks to be 2 old sulcatas. They were most likely fightong, and this is just fighting/ramming continuing. This has been making the rounds recently as "frienddship", but since the one prob. flipped him over, I don't need friends like that. :)
Both are prob. male.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi English, and welcome to the forum! ...all of the above!!