What to do with wild turtles?

Thevangang

Hey yáll, I am a new caretaker of box turtles and I found that I LOOOOOOOVE turtles/tortoises!!!!! Because of my new passion, my family is now more aware of our wild friends. We seem to see them everywhere now. Especially on the roadside or even in the middle of the road!!!!!
My question is this:
1. What do you do when you see a turtle in the middle of the road?

And
2. My husband works commercial construction, he has seen a lil female boxie hanging around the job site. He was wondering what he should do for her ( if anything ).
We now know that box turtles should not be moved to another location because they will kill themselves trying to get back home. We also know that their home is now a shopping center!!!!

˜Kelly:<3:s :tort::tort::tort:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Move them off to the side off the road in the grassy area if possible in the direction they were going. Never take from the wild or place them in a totally different location then they were found.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey yáll, I am a new caretaker of box turtles and I found that I LOOOOOOOVE turtles/tortoises!!!!! Because of my new passion, my family is now more aware of our wild friends. We seem to see them everywhere now. Especially on the roadside or even in the middle of the road!!!!!
My question is this:
1. What do you do when you see a turtle in the middle of the road?

And
2. My husband works commercial construction, he has seen a lil female boxie hanging around the job site. He was wondering what he should do for her ( if anything ).
We now know that box turtles should not be moved to another location because they will kill themselves trying to get back home. We also know that their home is now a shopping center!!!!

˜Kelly:<3:s :tort::tort::tort:

This is a tough call. You seem to already be aware of the implications.

Check with your local wildlife agency to make sure you aren't breaking any laws when trying to be helpful.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Sorry cannot give you advise on what to do: don't know rules in the country you live in.:rolleyes:

Thevangang

This is a tough call. You seem to already be aware of the implications.

Check with your local wildlife agency to make sure you aren't breaking any laws when trying to be helpful.
I see this reply frequently. Please don't think that I am trying to be "dense" cause I really do not mean to come off that way.
I have googled phrases such as "NC box turtle laws". And I read conflicting information. Do you know of the appropriate/accurate web page for the agency that you are referring to?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I see this reply frequently. Please don't think that I am trying to be "dense" cause I really do not mean to come off that way.
I have googled phrases such as "NC box turtle laws". And I read conflicting information. Do you know of the appropriate/accurate web page for the agency that you are referring to?

It varies state by state and each state also has a different name for its wildlife regulating agency. Here in CA we have FWS, Fish and Wildlife Service.

I would do a search to find a local rehabber or any animal agency in your area and ask them. THose type of people should know who to contact to get answers. Even your local animal shelter should be able to help get you to the right agency.

Thevangang

It varies state by state and each state also has a different name for its wildlife regulating agency. Here in CA we have FWS, Fish and Wildlife Service.

I would do a search to find a local rehabber or any animal agency in your area and ask them. THose type of people should know who to contact to get answers. Even your local animal shelter should be able to help get you to the right agency.
Thank you!!!!

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
No problem, its always good to know the laws..... I've had a few agents stop by before just to see my turtles and see if I was in compliance. Most likely they will never stop by but at least you will be ready if they do.

BrianWI

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
If their habitat is disturbed, they need to relocate themselves. If you try to relocate them, it probably will end up in death anyway.

On a road, just move them off the road the way they were headed. Not much more you can or should do.

Thevangang

If their habitat is disturbed, they need to relocate themselves. If you try to relocate them, it probably will end up in death anyway.

On a road, just move them off the road the way they were headed. Not much more you can or should do.
Thank you for your answers!
I will let my husband know that she will find a new home on her own. We knew that if we relocated her that she would keep trying to go home. Unfortunately, now her home is a parking lot and a Family Dollar :(