What to do w/ a Russian in hot weather

MRevis

I live in Orlando, Florida, and my Russian tort has an indoor enclosure (because it is currently 100 degrees outside). Temps w/in the cage is about 82 degrees (w/out the basking light on). I have noticed my tort not eating as much anymore, and will no longer sit on the log under the basking light. I have read that torts can hibernate in the summer (aestivation). Does anyone have a Russian in Florida and has experienced the same thing? Should I be worried that he is not eating/getting the necessary lighting?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi and a warm welcome to the forum! :D

Where do you live? if I may ask. I live in Jordan where it's very hot these days. I simply soak Oli :<3: in warm water three times a day. Water is always available in his dish.;)

Yep, torts can "hibernate during Summer" as you put it. Nothing to worry about.:)

Please post pics of your tort and his enclosure. And read the "Beginners Mistakes" Thread as well as the care sheets. Keep us updated.;)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I live in Orlando, Florida, and my Russian tort has an indoor enclosure (because it is currently 100 degrees outside). Temps w/in the cage is about 82 degrees (w/out the basking light on). I have noticed my tort not eating as much anymore, and will no longer sit on the log under the basking light. I have read that torts can hibernate in the summer (aestivation). Does anyone have a Russian in Florida and has experienced the same thing? Should I be worried that he is not eating/getting the necessary lighting?

Here is my solution to this issue. The great outdoors is best for adults and the only way to escape from the heat is to go under ground:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/semi-underground-russian-box.98590/#post-922226

And then I came up with this idea to make spring a little earlier and fall last a little longer for us:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/heating-an-outdoor-russian-night-box.116180/#post-1077261