What species ?

cupcakeaim

Hi I am just getting a tortoise that I've inherited, we are unsure of the breed but she is around 50. Any information will be very helpful thank you ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492543861.221596.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492543901.147127.jpg

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi,

You may have a Leopard Tortoise, but it is hard to tell from the photos you posted. If you wash the tortoise off gently with some warm water and a scrub brush it will be easier to see the pattern and make a better diagnosis of its sex. Also It would be good to put a ruler or some readily identifiable object like a your foot soda can next to it to give an idea of its size.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum.

I agree with @WithLisa : I believe it's a cute Greek tort. (By the way my beloved tort is a Greek one).

GingerLove

5 Year Member
It could be a greek... but he would be massive. Maybe I'm looking at the picture wrong. Some perspective might help, like a ruler? He is very beautiful. I love old tortoises because they look like they have a lot of stories to tell!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Looks like an old Greek :)

A photo of the plastron (under shell) including the tail will help us confirm details.

Whereabouts in the world are you?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I'm in the south of England in Dorset
In that case, almost certainly a Greek with an outside chance of Hermann's. There are lot of these old wild imports from the 60s and 70s around in the UK. Care of both species is similar.

A photo of the plastron will clear things up :)

Welcome from Kent, UK :)

Your tort's diet is leafy, weedy greens. It can't digest sugars properly - they cause digestive and kidney problems - so fruit, pepper, tomato and carrot should only be fed very sparingly and very occasionally if at all.

You may find this thread I wrote about keeping torts outside useful
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/outdoor-accommodation-in-a-colder-uk-climate.140866/