What species of tortoise is this guy?

ReneeCT

Please help. A friendly guy who has been found in the yard of a friend in Connecticut and I want to find out what kind he is as well as rescue/rehome/find his home. I hope you can help.
Thanks, renee

IMG_1113.JPG IMG_1114.JPG IMG_1115.JPG

ReneeCT

Ok. Thanks so much! He is very social and on several occasions has followed my friend around in his yard. Is it best to leave him in the environment?

M

Maggie Cummings

It's an Eastern Box turtle and there will be laws controlling the keeping of indigenous box turtles. Being as Connecticut is very East Coast, if you want to, you should look up the laws on keeping him. Look for his owner, put notices on telephone poles, leave your name at pet shops and Vets.
His face is not deformed, his lower jaw needs a dremel tool put to it. Obviously he has lived inside a long time or his jaw wouldn't be like that. Pulling food from the hard ground prevents that....
Welcome to the forum, please keep asking questions......

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Thank you everyone! I really appreciate the information!
It looks like he was a pet and may not survive in the big wide world on his own, so it would be great if you could care for him until you either find his owner, give him a home or take to a rescue centre. The caresheet will point you in the right direction. I don't know much about that species but if he's like most torts he may like a little soak in shallow, slightly warmer than hand water to rehydrate himself. There's lots of great up to date information here and many experienced keepers to help so read and ask as many questions as you like. Good luck with him he looks a lovely little character.

ReneeCT

Well now that I know 'what' he is, I am in a tough spot. He is listed as a species of 'special concern' in CT and that disallows me from collection. It saddens me to hear that he looks as though he was a pet; short of posting found information, I am not sure what more I can legally do. I will be sure to contact a State Herpetologist on Monday to see what they suggest but I am guessing I already know what their response will be.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He looks like he's a long term captive with that overgrown beak. If they suggest putting him back in the wild be sure to let them know he's not a wild turtle.

Berkeley

He looks like he's a long term captive with that overgrown beak. If they suggest putting him back in the wild be sure to let them know he's not a wild turtle.

Agreed. See if they will take him and place him with a nature center or a licensed educator.

--Berkeley

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
he needs a rescue center. see if there are wildlife rescues near you. the shell itself is in a bad way. looks like MBD, which is pretty bad for Turtles.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
Hi ReneeCT, welcome to the forum! Thanks for looking out for this little turtle. I'm in agreement with many of the posts that come before me. That is an eastern box turtle and it has obviously been a pet that was not properly cared for. The shell is deformed, the lower jaw is deformed and the rear claws look like they haven't been cared for. I can't say if the turtle could survive in the wild in that condition without observing it for a while, but with winter settling in on us, especially those in northern climates like you, it is a bad idea to leave it outside to fend for itself. Like ColleenT said, this turtle needs someone who can care for it. Rescue center, nature center, etc.

Berkeley

looks like MBD, which is pretty bad for Turtles.

It's not necessarily MBD. Just because a shell is not properly formed doesn't mean it is MBD. Most turtles that actually have it don't make it to adulthood (their skeleton fails them, and their shell is so soft), and this one has an adult pattern (and nearly adult size) so I would guess he was just fed the wrong things for several years. The overgrown and splayed nails and grossly overgrown beak also suggest this.

But as we have already mentioned (and I am in agreement with you!), this one should not be released; instead kept at a nature center or rescue facility somewhere.

--Berkeley

ReneeCT

Hello Everyone!
I really wanted to send an update out to those who may remember my initial inquiry. I was stymied as to what to do, or not do, for this little guy. I decided not to interfere (due to our State laws and additional reasons) and the day I have been thinking and hoping about was today. This guy came walking out of the woods (near a friends house) to visit after a long cold winter. I am beyond thrilled and wanted to share the news. Thanks so much for helping me initially and I hope this update finds you all well!
ReneeIMG_3765.JPG

dovelett15

10 Year Member!
That is a great story! Came out to say all is well. Thanks for the update!