What species of box turtle is this?

Sam K

She's at least 7 years old, let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_2107.PNG

Sam K

Also, are the white markings around her rear shell rot? She's my boyfriends turtle and his family severely neglects her, all she's given to eat everyday is lettuce. I'm planning on buying a big storage bin to put her in and feeding her everything she needs to be healthy. She hasn't had any source of UVB light either.

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bixby
Also, are the white markings around her rear shell rot? She's my boyfriends turtle and his family severely neglects her, all she's given to eat everyday is lettuce. I'm planning on buying a big storage bin to put her in and feeding her everything she needs to be healthy. She hasn't had any source of UVB light either.
I can't really see the white markings on my phone but it looks to be in pretty good condition considering what you describe. Check out the box turtle section

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/forums/american-box-turtles.98/

Sam K

Okay, thank you. I'm relieved to hear that she looks healthy. Her front nails have grown over the top of her foot, is there any way to correct this?

cmacusa3

5 Year Member
Bixby
You can clip them down a little with finger nail clippers just don't go to short with them. Then feed on a piece of slate daily and that will help with nails and beak.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Why is that? What's the difference?

Really it depends on the size of enclosure your using for the output of the UVB but for my box turtles I only use the 5.0 tube fluorescent. I then use a 75 watt incandescent basking light for heat. You can also get a Mercury vapor lamp that gives UVA, UVB, and heat all in one. They are a bit pricey but are well worth it too! If you are new to box turtles I would suggest reading through the care sheets. Very informative and well done. I also agree with Craig, most likely a 3 toed box turtle.