What species is my tortoise??

IlyBakeeza♥

Location (City and/or State)
Egypt
Hii there I'm new here:),,
I bought her two weeks ago and keep her in the balcony (I live in Egypt and the sunlight is warm and good for her)
so what species is this?
And what can she eat? I only feed her lettuce, cucumbers, carrots(not so often), and put some water in a jar lid but she never drinks..
Oh and are her eyes okay? Is it sunken in or something? because I've noticed three days ago that there are dark circles under her eyes..
And how often do I soak her?
I need some help too because she keeps sneezing and has a bubbly nose so what should I do?
Too many questions I know, so sorry :D
lololol 675.jpg lololol 690.jpg lololol 705.jpg lololol 732.jpg lololol 731.jpg

IlyBakeeza♥

Egypt
How can I treat respiratory infections? Do I need to take the tort to the vet??
can you determine the species of the tort aswell?
The tortoise has a place to hide in and there's soil with some grass, and a flat plate that contains water

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That's a Greek. Not too certain which sub species reside in Egypt but a very nice one @HermanniChris would know which sub species it is. Ok. I would offer a larger water area that the tortoise can actually get into and soak if they want. You may want to check your temps with being out on hone balcony. What temperature does it get at night out there? Does sound like a respiratory infection. Which would require increasing the heat and an antibiotic regime would be recommended for sure. These guys eat broad leaf weeds and grasses. So I would offer that as food and scrap the other stuff. If you could build a nice area with some grass in it for her. Also allow a nice hide area for her to retreat to at night, and during the extreme heats of the day.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You have a 100% pure Libyan Greek tortoise (Testudo graeca cyrenaica). And looks to be female.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Ily, and welcome to the Forum!

You can put your new tortoise into a small tub of warm water for about 15 minutes every day. I'd do this for about a week until you see the eyes start looking like they're not so sunken in. Fill the tub so the water comes up to the middle of the tortoise's sides. This way he doesn't have to strain to keep his head out of the water.

That's a beautiful tortoise and I love the name.

1028762jld543t69m.gif

IlyBakeeza♥

Egypt
@Yvonne G I will try tomorrow, but she either sleeps in the water or doesn't move, do I have to worry or is it okay?
and thanks btw! the name loves you back :D

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Sleeping in the water is okay, but it often indicates that the animal is too dry and maybe too hot. You also have to make sure the water doesn't heat up too much from the sun.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the daytime high and night time low where your tortoise is?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Lots people already identified the species of the torts. I just like to say this is a really beautiful specimen.