What other species of torts can live with sulcatas?

KNC7

Hello all,

My name is Kara and I live in the Philippines. I've had my two sulcata torts for 2 years and I was wondering which tort species get along and have similar needs to sulfates. I'm currently making a huge outdoor space and would like to add another kind of tortoise. I know sulcatas get big which is why I'm thinking of getting a tort that doesn't grow as big and isn't aggressive. Would appreciate all your advice and thoughts. Hope you're all having a great weekend!

Kara

G-stars

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Short answer is none. And pairs don't do good together. You should separate them. Especially if one or both of those are males.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
tortoises do not like living with other tortoises they like to be the only King of the castle so to speak

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kara: One should never mix species. Tortoises that have evolved on different continents have different "germs" than tortoises on other continents and those "germs" might make the other tortoise sick or even dead.

Tortoises are territorial. They neither want nor need companions. Eventually your two sulcatas are going to fight to be the king of the territory. I have seen pictures of broken shells on the side where an aggressive sulcata rammed the other tortoise hard enough to break the shell and cause a large, bleeding injury.

If you have the space to set up individual yards with only one tortoise in each yard, go for it, but two sulcatas in a yard is not a good idea. And a new yard for a different species is great too. Those of us who have more than one species totally understand the need for having more tortoises, but you have to take care how you set them up.

KNC7

Thank you all for your answers. I will definitely make more room and since my torts are still very small, I'm not sure of their gender just yet. I have a pretty big space in the back yard and will separate the two once they get bigger. So once tortoise per enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Right. Two males will fight. One male and one female, the male will harass the female until she stays hidden and stops eating. You only put the male in the female's yard to breed then put him back in his own yard.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Right. Two males will fight. One male and one female, the male will harass the female until she stays hidden and stops eating. You only put the male in the female's yard to breed then put him back in his own yard.
Two torts will fight - even two females.

There is always one dominant tortoise and the other becomes a victim.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Kara,
Lovely space! But don't forget that as your sullies get bigger each will need more space.
Hope your having a good weekend too!

orv

5 Year Member
Aguanga, CA
KARA: As your sulcates grow they will become very aggressive diggers and tunnel makers. Your now beautiful yard may well become a mess.