What Kind of Tortoises Are These?

NokaNoka

We received these tortoises from someone who bought them from someone in California about 2 or so years ago. They were just hatched when purchased, I believe. We live in the Northeast.

We were told Desert Tortoises, but I just want to be sure so we can provide them the best care possible. One is obviously smaller than the other.

Sorry for the blurry shots -- if you need better shot to verify, please ask. I tried to be quick so as not to stress them. We gave them a quick soak each and now both are back happily resting under their heat lamp.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are sulcatas. Please read Toms threads below in my post for best proper care. Adjust for the age of your torts. A humid hide at their size would work instead of the closed chambers that is in the threads.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!!

Yes, they are a type of desert tortoise, but they come from Africa and they get very, very big. It's going to be expensive for you to keep a couple of 100+lb tortoises in the NorthEast.

We have a good care sheet for you at the top of the Sulcata section here on the Forum!

NokaNoka

I appreciate the responses.

I'm going through and reading the thread mentioned by Wellington and will move on to the sulcata forums after.

I'm really worried about providing them with proper care, especially as we are in the Northeast. Today it's 30*F outside with lots of snow.

NokaNoka

Is it possible to raise happy and healthy sulcatas in the Northeast? Are yard enclosure options possible when it gets below freezing and snows here? They aren't that big yet, but I know it's only a matter of time.

I'll be building a humid hide ASAP.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
We received these tortoises from someone who bought them from someone in California about 2 or so years ago. They were just hatched when purchased, I believe. We live in the Northeast.

We were told Desert Tortoises, but I just want to be sure so we can provide them the best care possible. One is obviously smaller than the other.

Sorry for the blurry shots -- if you need better shot to verify, please ask. I tried to be quick so as not to stress them. We gave them a quick soak each and now both are back happily resting under their heat lamp.

View attachment 119383 View attachment 119385 View attachment 119386 View attachment 119387 View attachment 119388 View attachment 119389
Hi
How many torts are there?

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome! ! !

NokaNoka

I appreciate the help and welcomes!

They came to us in an aquarium -- I don't know the exact size, but I'm guessing 50-gallon. I'll measure tomorrow. They also came with a UV light and a basking lamp with a red bulb.

So far, we've added a cardboard box with a flap cut off so they can hide away. Also added a cuttle bone which they both love.

It seems as if the previous owner used the red bulb basking lamp 24/7, as that's their only heat source.

I'm off to start a thread on heating sources, as we're scrambling to get everything together.

gregcalverley0327

10 Year Member!
It's possible to keep sulcatas in colder areas, I have three rescues and they have indoor enclosures for winter months and colder days, I have two rooms dedicated to them so that they can have nice large indoor housing, then I also have outside caging, most people use a shed of some sort and heat that to keep them warm in the colder days and winter months. Can be pricey but definitely worth it I think. Very rewarding tortoises. I'm from Michigan so it's pretty cold here

NokaNoka

It's possible to keep sulcatas in colder areas, I have three rescues and they have indoor enclosures for winter months and colder days, I have two rooms dedicated to them so that they can have nice large indoor housing, then I also have outside caging, most people use a shed of some sort and heat that to keep them warm in the colder days and winter months. Can be pricey but definitely worth it I think. Very rewarding tortoises. I'm from Michigan so it's pretty cold here

I've already fallen in love with these sweeties. Now that they aren't so shocked from their move, they're starting to show their personalities.

It's good to know there are others with colder temps who have been able to raise sulcatas successfully.

NokaNoka

So I don't keep making threads, I'll ask here:

1. I want them to get exercise, but the temps and snow prevent me from bringing them outdoors for any length of time. How warm would a room have to be for them to roam around in? We live in an attic apartment with oil heating -- therm is kept at 61* during the day, so I wouldn't want them to freeze. Should I just keep them in their enclosure until it warms up here?

2. How often should I be soaking them? I've read anywhere from daily to once a week. We did a quick soak today, but the water got chilly too quickly because I wasn't sure what temp would be okay. Also, about how high up should the water be? 1/3 way up the shell?

3. Misting -- how often should I be doing this? I won't be able to get cypress mulch (or any other kind of substrate) for a few days yet. I would like to work on raising humidity levels immediately though, as well as keep them hydrated. Would damp paper towels do, or would those be too wet? We have a plastic lid covering 3/4 of the aquarium's top -- we had to leave room for the heating lamp.

I think that's all right now for questions.

You all really are an awesome, helpful, and kind bunch!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I don't keep making threads, I'll ask here:

1. I want them to get exercise, but the temps and snow prevent me from bringing them outdoors for any length of time. How warm would a room have to be for them to roam around in? We live in an attic apartment with oil heating -- therm is kept at 61* during the day, so I wouldn't want them to freeze. Should I just keep them in their enclosure until it warms up here?

2. How often should I be soaking them? I've read anywhere from daily to once a week. We did a quick soak today, but the water got chilly too quickly because I wasn't sure what temp would be okay. Also, about how high up should the water be? 1/3 way up the shell?

3. Misting -- how often should I be doing this? I won't be able to get cypress mulch (or any other kind of substrate) for a few days yet. I would like to work on raising humidity levels immediately though, as well as keep them hydrated. Would damp paper towels do, or would those be too wet? We have a plastic lid covering 3/4 of the aquarium's top -- we had to leave room for the heating lamp.

Hello and welcome:
Answers to your questions:
1. Roaming loose in a human habitat is a very dangerous practice and 61 is far too cold for them to be roaming around in. Its also probably colder than 61 down on the floor. You will need to build them a large heated indoor enclosure. Do NOT let them get cold. No lower than high 70s at any time. Cold can make them sick.

2. For that size 2 or 3 times a week should be fine, but also have a shallow water source for them to drink from in between soaks. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best. Do the soak somewhere warm or possibly under a heat source to keep the water from cooling so fast. Avbout one third up their shell is a fine depth. No more than half way up.

3. Don't worry about misting too much. It doesn't do a whole lot with an open top. Work on getting the right substrate and keep it all damp and warm. This will give you the needed humidity. Spraying the tortoises shells a few times a day is a good practice.

A few other things:
1. These guys need to be separated. They don't do well in pairs. Groups are okay sometimes, pairs are not. Read this for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

2. They need much larger enclosures right now. ASAP.

3. You can keep them in a climate like that, but it will take a large amount of time, effort and money. Are you sure you want to get into that? To start with a closed chamber is definitely the way to go in your situation. Open tops allow cold dry air to circulate into you tortoises living space. Closed chambers make it easy to maintain what ever temps and humidity you want.

Please read these for more info and help.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

NokaNoka

Hello and welcome:
Answers to your questions:
1. Roaming loose in a human habitat is a very dangerous practice and 61 is far too cold for them to be roaming around in. Its also probably colder than 61 down on the floor. You will need to build them a large heated indoor enclosure. Do NOT let them get cold. No lower than high 70s at any time. Cold can make them sick.

2. For that size 2 or 3 times a week should be fine, but also have a shallow water source for them to drink from in between soaks. Terra cotta plant saucers sunk into the substrate work best. Do the soak somewhere warm or possibly under a heat source to keep the water from cooling so fast. Avbout one third up their shell is a fine depth. No more than half way up.

3. Don't worry about misting too much. It doesn't do a whole lot with an open top. Work on getting the right substrate and keep it all damp and warm. This will give you the needed humidity. Spraying the tortoises shells a few times a day is a good practice.

A few other things:
1. These guys need to be separated. They don't do well in pairs. Groups are okay sometimes, pairs are not. Read this for more explanation:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/pairs.34837/

2. They need much larger enclosures right now. ASAP.

3. You can keep them in a climate like that, but it will take a large amount of time, effort and money. Are you sure you want to get into that? To start with a closed chamber is definitely the way to go in your situation. Open tops allow cold dry air to circulate into you tortoises living space. Closed chambers make it easy to maintain what ever temps and humidity you want.

Please read these for more info and help.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Thanks, Tom! I've already gleaned so much wisdom from your posts.

I started a new thread on cold climates if you wouldn't mind chiming in there: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sulcata-in-cold-climate-northeastern-us.112936/