what kind of tortoise is she?

shadycoco

Please help, I am new to the tortoise world, I was called to a friends house and told you take her I saved her from her place now I can't keep her, I was told she is the kind of turtle that grows up into a tortoise. She came with meal worms, a food bowl and some really long claws. No idea what part of the world she comes from. My friend said they had been selling tortoises to the pet store if that helps.

20170602_044917.jpg 20170602_045042.jpg 20170602_044944.jpg

PJay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
It's a box turtle with metabolic bone disease. Looks like a three toed box turtle. It is probably not going to get any bigger and needs some tlc. Let's call in someone with first hand experience with box turtles with mbd: @lisa127

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
LOL! Your comment about the turtle being the kind that grows up to be a tortoise made me chuckle. There is no such thing. They're either turtles or they're tortoises. At any rate, you've probably saved this little box turtle's life by taking it in. It's amazing that people think it's ok to treat turtles this way and that he looks ok with nails like that.

It's ok to clip those nails. Take him out into the sun (very bright light) and look for the dark line inside each nail (blood). You can clip up to that dark line. If you go too far it will bleed. You don't want that. But if you do make it bleed you can tap a bit of flour onto the nail. Or before you undertake the job go to the pet store and buy some styptic powder. That is used to stop bleeding.

Good luck with your new turtle. I think you're really going to enjoy having it. They are very people oriented and fun to have.

Welcome to the Forum!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Aww ...poor turtle. A lot of times with mbd not only are nails long but they curl in all different directions. Because of that I find it a bit difficult to do so I have the vet do it. I also had her trim the beak of my guy when I adopted him. Feeding him on a rough surface and providing cuttlebone has kept it in good shape ever since. Make sure you provide a good uvb bulb when indoors and create an outdoor enclosure when weather permits. He will always look funny but can have a great life with proper care.

Instead of mealworms feed nightcrawlers and black soldier fly larvae. Also pill bugs. All three are very nutritious and better calcium sources. Also feed some greens, veggies, and fruits. Berries are a favorite.

Oh, and yes. 3 toed box turtle.

Link

East-Central Oklahoma
I was wondering if a pet nail grinder tool would be less evasive or risky in trimming similar turtle/tortoise issues such as overgrown nails and beaks?
Such as this one upload_2017-6-2_15-16-42.jpeg (
Wahl Ultimate Nail Grinder Replacement Kit)
or many others? Thoughts?

shadycoco

Thank you all so much, I have been reading up on box turtles and now have her a prefect forever home. I am okay with the looking different as long as she can be happy. I am sure I will be back with more question as I explore the world with my new friend.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I was wondering if a pet nail grinder tool would be less evasive or risky in trimming similar turtle/tortoise issues such as overgrown nails and beaks?
Such as this one View attachment 209363 (
Wahl Ultimate Nail Grinder Replacement Kit)
or many others? Thoughts?
I don't think a grinder would be good for such tiny nails.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thank you for saving this poor baby and welcome to the Forum! So glad you have found us here, no better place to get good , up to date information of turtles and tortoises. This little boxie will never look like Mother Nature inteded (thanks to either ignorance or lazyness of her previous owners) but with proper care, good diet, sunshine/good UVB light, daily warm baths she will get much stronger and I'm sure in few months with some cosmetic care done either by you or the vet, she will look very different, and much happier. Enjoy all the learning, ask questions, post lots of pictures, make many new friends. Again, warm welcome from Texas to you and your new shelled friend!

shadycoco

Just a quick update, I have named my little box baby. We call her Caroline, I can see a personality starting to show up and she is loving her daily baths. When she wakes up in the morning she stands outside of her hide and when I walk over she goes to her full of food dish and waits for some fresh bugs. (Not a big veggie fan) .She will eat the night crawler from my hand. If that is normal i don't want to know i feel special like we are bonding. Thank you all again for all the info and support.we will continue to do yard work in the sun and enjoy each day.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Just a quick update, I have named my little box baby. We call her Caroline, I can see a personality starting to show up and she is loving her daily baths. When she wakes up in the morning she stands outside of her hide and when I walk over she goes to her full of food dish and waits for some fresh bugs. (Not a big veggie fan) .She will eat the night crawler from my hand. If that is normal i don't want to know i feel special like we are bonding. Thank you all again for all the info and support.we will continue to do yard work in the sun and enjoy each day.
I think her eating a worm from your hand is indeed very special. Enjoy your newly forming special relationship. I believe that there is something very spiritual about bonding with our rescued previously abused/neglected animals.