What kind of tortoise is it???

Hill

I found this kid cruising down the white line of the highway and was able to scoop him up without him getting killed.... what is he/she??

Hill

Pics since I couldn't figure out how to load them from my phone!

image1-3.JPG image3-4.JPG image4-2.JPG image2-3.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Female Russian (Testudo Horsefieldii).

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Yes, it's a female Russian. The shell says she's seen some hard times. Are you going to keep her? She's quite a find! :) We would all be happy to help you with advice for housing and feeding.

Hill

I'd love to keep her! The only experience I have with tortoises is a sulcata that someone abandoned at the vet hospital I worked at. They said he was 5, We had him 8 years and he never got bigger than a small orange. The vet never could figure out what was exactly wrong but no one was super surprised when we got up and he had passed.
I'm currently cruising Craigslist and pet finder looking to see if anyone is missing her. She was legit hanging out on the white line of I-10!
I guess we should have known just by that she lives dangerously.

Hill

The more I'm reading the more I'm wondering could she be a wild tortoise? I live in South Texas so climate is ideal for these guys and the beat up shell.... But she's VERY friendly to the point when i stopped my car to grab her she did not withdraw into her shell and rode with her head and limbs out all the way home. The wild ones I've nabbed off the road usually withdraw until I can move them to the safe side of the road and then "run" even out doors she is hanging out with us not trying to go anywhere.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The more I'm reading the more I'm wondering could she be a wild tortoise? I live in South Texas so climate is ideal for these guys and the beat up shell.... But she's VERY friendly to the point when i stopped my car to grab her she did not withdraw into her shell and rode with her head and limbs out all the way home. The wild ones I've nabbed off the road usually withdraw until I can move them to the safe side of the road and then "run" even out doors she is hanging out with us not trying to go anywhere.

I looked up species native to Texas, and Russians are not native there. And she's definitely a Russian! I would say she is someone's lost pet, or maybe an abandoned pet. She looks really cute! I hope you get to keep her! If I were you I would give her a soak in warm water to clean her up and hydrate her a bit.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
A cute Russian tort.

And a very warm welcome to the forum!