What kind of spider?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Did you smack it first?? That is what I will do first.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wolf spider. They eat a lot of bugs that we don't like to have around, and they don't bother anyone or anything else. Smacking it not only hurts the spider, but it also hurts you. Smack enough spiders and your house will be over run with all the bugs they used to eat before you killed them. Then you'll need to spray toxic pesticides to control the other bugs. Then those pesticides at everyone's house runs off in the rain and into the ocean... Vicious cycle. I can understand killing the brown recluse and black widows, as the damage from their bite is severe, but no need to bother the harmless ones.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sorry didn't realise.

What I'm saying is that YOU might be right. It might be something else, but many people call all sorts of spiders that look similar to these "wolf spiders". I suspect sometimes they are right and sometimes they are not. I was taught by my parents, friends and family that this one is a type of "wolf" spider, but that is like calling Blatta orientalis a "water bug". It could be a commonly held misconception, and I might be one of those common people holding on to it.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks guys. I've been getting spider bites lately so I placed him outside. I'm sure he'll find his way back in but I don't like killing them!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks guys. I've been getting spider bites lately so I placed him outside. I'm sure he'll find his way back in but I don't like killing them!

Well if your policy is to put them back outside, let me guess that you don't have a big roach or cricket problem around your house, do you?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Wolf spider. They eat a lot of bugs that we don't like to have around, and they don't bother anyone or anything else. Smacking it not only hurts the spider, but it also hurts you. Smack enough spiders and your house will be over run with all the bugs they used to eat before you killed them. Then you'll need to spray toxic pesticides to control the other bugs. Then those pesticides at everyone's house runs off in the rain and into the ocean... Vicious cycle. I can understand killing the brown recluse and black widows, as the damage from their bite is severe, but no need to bother the harmless ones.
Thank you Tom for the educational read.

I just don't like them around in general. Sorry.

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Well if your policy is to put them back outside, let me guess that you don't have a big roach or cricket problem around your house, do you?

No, I haven't run into that problem thankfully

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I love those little guys! They're my very favorite spider. I've always called them jumping spiders. I think its probably a good thing that my eyesight is poorly because I'm thinking they have a very ugly face. But I LOVE them!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yvonne, I LOVE the jumping spiders too! I've spent hours watching them hunt.

The one in the pic is different than the ones I call jumping spiders.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
We have a lot of Daring Jumping Spiders here where I live, always find them in the goat troughs. I love the face on jumping spiders, think they are so cute.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sorry but I'd smash it . I hate bugs I dont discriminate.

maryalmeida81

Yikes !!! I would be sick looking at that , but in my house I wouldn't be able to sleep lol !! Take it far far away then let it go I'll hold anything but a spider, ughh Nooo thanks!!! Yuk :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tortoise Forum

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
I don't know what it is about wolf spiders, but I hate them.. I hate them more than sun spiders, and those are some mean, aggressive, nasty little creatures. I have no problems with any other spider, except black widows and brown recluses mostly because the are venomous. Wold spiders just creep me the heck out... I have not seen many around my house, not like out at my parents place.