What kind of plant is this?

Marci

Hello I am brand new to this site and am looking for some help. I have this growing in my flower beds and lawn and was wondering if anyone can identity it and tell me if it is edible for my 2 month old leopard tortoises. I live in Southern California if that helps. Thanks!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hello I am brand new to this site and am looking for some help. I have this growing in my flower beds and lawn and was wondering if anyone can identity it and tell me if it is edible for my 2 month old leopard tortoises. I live in Southern California if that helps. Thanks!

Don't forget to go to Upload File when u want to include a pix.

Marci

Sorry I was on my phone and couldn't figure it out. There are 2 different plants/weeds that I am trying to identify.

IMG_6259.JPG IMG_6258.JPG

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
The first picture with the broader leaves is mallow. That stuff is tortoise crack. I am not sure of the nutritional properties of it but when it sprouts here and the tortoises start eating it they tend to have a decent winter growth spurt.

Not sure on the second one. Amaranth maybe?

Marci

Thank you very much. I'm trying to vary their diet and look for more grasses and weeds. Here is a closer up of the second plant/weed if anyone knows what it could be

IMG_6257.JPG