What kind of chicken is this?

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
Are there any chicken people out there? This is my neighbors chicken, we don't know what kind it is. Any ideas?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1445831111.569730.jpg
It doesn't look that white out in the sunshine, it's more of a pale yellow. I know the conditions are crappy but like I said these are not my chickens.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks like a cross with a California white and some other hen. Maybe a Orpington cross .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Looks young . California whites get to be a little larger . When it lays see if the eggs are tan .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Somebody said it might be a buff optington, so I am assuming if that's what it is it's color will change

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm not a real farmer, I don't eat my own chickens. But I was thinking about buying two of the hens but I'm not sure what breed they are. I won't ones that are going to be good egg layers. But also relatively friendly. So anyway, I might just have to wait till they get older to see what they're going to look like as adults. Maybe they'll be easier to identify them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, a buff orpington is yellow out of the egg, but buff colored as soon as the new feathers start to grow in. It's probably a plain old leghorn. There are a lot of oriental (fighting) chickens in the pet trade now-a-days. I think they're a cross between the oriental birds and some of our breeds.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Why wouldn't you want a leg horn ? They are good sitters . When I had chickens my leg horn would sit the other hens eggs to make more babies . Then the older hens would get the knife . If you want eggs then get you some road island reds . They are good layers .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
...or get a couple of araucana hens. They lay pretty colored eggs. But if you're getting them for eggs, nothing beats a Rhode Island Red or a Barred Rock.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm not a real farmer. I don't kill my chickens and eat them when they're done laying eggs. I can't eat something I name :) i'm going to try to get a better picture.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
But they're yummy ! I guess I'm just mean . We used to have pigs for 4-h and if they didn't make sale they went in the freezer . Nothing like home grown food . All my pigs had names .The chickens to had names but they all were food . I only eat chicken breasts don't really care for anything else . But my family loves chicken . Louisiana hot sauce can make anything taste good .

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I wouldn't want a leg horn because there are large Combs can be subject to frostbite. I don't have heat in the coop. It is supposed to be a mild winter but I don't know for the future.