What is your weekly diet/feeding routine?

MelissaNicole

Location (City and/or State)
Eastern Pennsylvania
Just curious what everyone's feeding routine/ diet plan is for their tortoise??

I think it could be helpful to others and give some inspiration to a varied diet for different torts and different ages :)

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi Melissa
I work so I leave food for my tort every morning and because he has his own room I split it up and leave it in different places.
After his evening soak I will give a little more and after that he takes himself off to bed.
He is on weeds with ground dried grass now but if I haven't found that many I will bulk it out with some kale or spring greens or florette crispy salad but dandies, plantains and clover are his main diet now.

Prairie Mom

I have a sulcata. I'm enjoying the summer, because I just let her explore my whole yard all day and she stuffs herself as she sees fit. My tortoise has access to my lawn&weeds, tortoise safe flowers, and the greens of healthy vegetables like squash, strawberry, grapevines, and peas. I bring my tortoise inside the house at night and give her a long soak before she goes to bed. My tortoise loves her soaks so much that I am known to give her a half hour nearly every day with a water change mid bath, just to keep the water warm.

Winter is a WHOLE OTHER BALL GAME... I live in a place with long cold winters. I grew grass, weeds, flowers, & garden vines all winter long to supplement her diet. I sprinkled calcium on her food once a week. I fed my tortoise more Mazuri and Store-bought greens than I'd like to admit. This winter I'll be expanding the winter indoor garden (already have the lights!) and will be getting seeds started just as soon as most people sit on the beach and wonder if Autumn is starting to approach. I'm also dehydrating and saving lawn clippings to mix in my tortoises diet this winter. I'm following the example Turtulas-len gives in this thread... http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-young-sulcatas-winter-diet-worked.115259/ We'll see how I do this winter:)

MelissaNicole

Eastern Pennsylvania
I have a sulcata. I'm enjoying the summer, because I just let her explore my whole yard all day and she stuffs herself as she sees fit. My tortoise has access to my lawn&weeds, tortoise safe flowers, and the greens of healthy vegetables like squash, strawberry, grapevines, and peas. I bring my tortoise inside the house at night and give her a long soak before she goes to bed. My tortoise loves her soaks so much that I am known to give her a half hour nearly every day with a water change mid bath, just to keep the water warm.

Winter is a WHOLE OTHER BALL GAME... I live in a place with long cold winters. I grew grass, weeds, flowers, & garden vines all winter long to supplement her diet. I sprinkled calcium on her food once a week. I fed my tortoise more Mazuri and Store-bought greens than I'd like to admit. This winter I'll be expanding the winter indoor garden (already have the lights!) and will be getting seeds started just as soon as most people sit on the beach and wonder if Autumn is starting to approach. I'm also dehydrating and saving lawn clippings to mix in my tortoises diet this winter. I'm following the example Turtulas-len gives in this thread... http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/my-young-sulcatas-winter-diet-worked.115259/ We'll see how I do this winter:)
Very interesting, I'll have to take a look at that link!