What is a good substrate for a new outside habitat?

Guardian-Angel-671

Location (City and/or State)
Laurelville,Ohio,U.S.A.
I'm rebuilding an outdoor habitat for my box turtle. We recently moved & before we could bring the original one over to new place someone stole it. I'm wanting to be sure that I use correct bedding/soil because I don't want any chemicals that can hurt my turtle in it.I'm a do 1 prob like this idea http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/dwight-and-moses-outdoor-kiddie-pool-enclosure.50738/ as I do have a kiddie pool that size with drainage holes already in it.(I started out with the pool & was going to move to a stock tub fixed up as it'd be deeper & more dirt to dig in.The stock tub is the 1 that was stolen) I plan on prob putting gravel in bottom also for drainage unless there is something better? I plan on putting plants in it also for feeding/hiding in also.besides pools/hides & other usual items.

Thanks for any suggestions. I may also have to redo the indoor habitat as our turtle (Rogue) is now climbing out & escaping the indoor 1. So I'll be browsing for new indoor ideas also lol.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
How bigs your box turtle. I always use a soil moss mix. Then I put leaves on top of all that for my box turtles. It holds moisture well And they can dig in to sleep

Kyle

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is using the native soil from your yard an option?

Guardian-Angel-671

Laurelville,Ohio,U.S.A.
I could use my native soil as I've not treated it with anything yet. I was just worried that if it rained in my setup,the soil would get to hard for Rogue as my soil can get kinda rocky & hard at times.I don't have a box yet just 1 of the huge kiddie pools so far.I was kinda wanting a box but I have a bad back & don't want to make Rogue wait forever for me ta get her box ready. So was gonna do the pool as at least a temp setup for now.