what dog breeds can protect tortoises and take down coyote?

Speedy-1

Location (City and/or State)
St. David Arizona
I just went back and read the original post. It seems we have gone from "I saw a big fat coyote" to "What kind of dog can beat a pack of coyotes" ? At least they aren't a pack of vicious , rabid , coyotes YET ! But I am sure we can get there with just a tad more imagination !!!! :D:D:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I can understand why a person would think that, but reality is the opposite. It is more often the urban coyotes in the cities that get themselves into trouble. Seldom does anyone in a rural area have trouble with them, because they get shot if people even see them at a distance.

I don't know how it works in other parts of the country, but we have coyote "incidents" on the news here regularly and I don't think enchilada's concerns are unfounded. Having a dog is not the solution in my opinion, but one of these "domestic" coyotes could very well pose a threat to a tortoise outside at night.
Chicago city coyotes are just nicer, like its humans:p No, a single dog is not the solution. Killing the coyotes is not the solution. Putting the torts up at night in a safe enclosure is the solution.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
any suggestions? i live in a typical urban area in southern california,
just saw a big fat coyote , Cruising Down the Street in the middle of the day
and neighbors been complaining every night they Howling like this swirling storm inside, Couldn't keep it in;

`````````````

i need to get a dog strong enough to protect my torts and turtles. i currently have a Maltese , which is one of the favorite items on coyotes' dinner menu

Nobody has pointed out the Frozen reference. With two young daughters, I feel it is my obligation to acknowledge how cleverly you inserted the reference into your post.

I don't have much experience with dogs, so I can't help you out much there. I would recommend something infected with the T or G Virus. Tom could point you in the right direction.

resident_evil_guard_dog_by_scarlet_snap_zps8ckloiyo.jpg

Kaliman1962

I doubt the OP has to worry. We have them in the city of Chicago. Purposely put here to control rats. Been here for quite a few years now. They have yet to bother anyone in the city. They are bold, but still run from humans. Food is plentiful, no need for them to over work themselves chasing and killing dogs, cats, or even the rats they were brought in for. I think they are less of a threat then you might think. Urban areas have lots of food sources that is much easier to get then hunting for it.
I'm in northern suburbs

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i need to get a dog strong enough to protect my torts and turtles. i currently have a Maltese , which is one of the favorite items on coyotes' dinner menu

there are a lot of coyotes around me , it's an urban area with a huge park system running through it . the only complaints i've ever heard around here was people losing their outside cats , and an occasional small dog being taken , one time i remember one lady got herself bitten somehow , i have to think a mom with pups nearby........ i don't know about one dog , i've never had one dog , but i can tell you a pack of 3-5 is absolutely the best solution to guarding anything from predators , even people .......... i've seen my dogs attack stuff i sure wouldn't without a moments hesitation .......... as far as protecting your maltese , i have no doubt a big drivey breed of dog would definitely keep him or her safe .......

jinete

Orange County, CA
I can understand why a person would think that, but reality is the opposite. It is more often the urban coyotes in the cities that get themselves into trouble. Seldom does anyone in a rural area have trouble with them, because they get shot if people even see them at a distance.

I don't know how it works in other parts of the country, but we have coyote "incidents" on the news here regularly and I don't think enchilada's concerns are unfounded. Having a dog is not the solution in my opinion, but one of these "domestic" coyotes could very well pose a threat to a tortoise outside at night.
Just read yesterday in our neighborhood newspaper that a teen that turned around to run from a coyote here in Orange County, CA was attacked. Usually they are just getting into trashcans but lately been hearing more and more of attacks on neighborhood pets and now a person. Craziness. Hope everyone's tortoises stay safe.