what dog breeds can protect tortoises and take down coyote?

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
I've had many gamebred pits , I don't doubt a wolf wouldn't stand a chance let alone a coyote , a dog fighting defensively is at a huge disadvantage ......... I think most any rough dogs would kill a coyote , I don't doubt a fast malinois might be capable of catching a coyote , but not many dogs I've seen aside from greyhounds can hit 40mph

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Seriously though , we have coyote's all over out here . They are an indigenous species that is thriving , but they have never presented a threat ! I have parrots that go out daily as the weather permits Speedy has been outside almost daily since he was about a yearling, or a bit earlier , and they have never posed a threat to any of them ! The birds come inside , and Speedy is secure in his night box ! Frankly I am more concerned with my garbage cans being tipped over than any harm coming to my pets !

Clawem

We also have coyotes here and never had a problem with them eating any of my livestock. I think all the coyote hype is made up by the media. In NY city they just killed a few because they were eating feral cats. Coyotes are an indigenous species cats are not. We spend millions trying to get rid of non native species in this country only when it suits our needs.Cats kill billions of native birds every year but that is fine because they are cute. You have more of a chance that your dog will harm your tortoise then a coyote.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think all the coyote hype is made up by the media.

No, its not hype. Some percentage of them get very desensitized and unafraid of humans and our pets. These individual coyotes are truly dangerous to kids and pets and need to be terminated.

Also don't forget that there are unnaturally large numbers of them in and around urban areas because of all the free and easy food, clean water sources and the lack of competition and larger predators. Its a comfy living for them, and they take advantage. Ravens too.

I'm all for leaving wildlife alone, but wildlife needs to stay out of the human habitation areas to avoid issues. We have coyotes here in my area that eat our chickens, goats, and anything else they can get a hold of. The coyotes that stay away and live out in the hills live a long healthy life and are admired and respected. The coyotes that come in and steal our pets and other animals and hang around close to us are shot on sight. This is the reason why they are a problem in NYC, but not here in the hills near me. When they live in urban areas where no one can walk around with a gun, much less shoot one, coyotes run rampant and they get bold and potentially dangerous. Out here on the edge of civilization their numbers are controlled and their healthy fear and respect of humans keeps them alive and well. I walk around out in the wilderness all the time here. When I see a coyote from 100+ yards away, they bolt, or I just don't even see them because they hear/smell/sense me coming from a mile away. That is how it should be. When they walk right up to people just a few feet away, you have a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

The OP lives in a populated city, and I'll bet that the ones near him are pretty desensitized and unafraid of humans. He's right to be concerned about his tortoises.

enchilada

5 Year Member
Newport Beach CA
No, its not hype. Some percentage of them get very desensitized and unafraid of humans and our pets. These individual coyotes are truly dangerous to kids and pets and need to be terminated.

Also don't forget that there are unnaturally large numbers of them in and around urban areas because of all the free and easy food, clean water sources and the lack of competition and larger predators. Its a comfy living for them, and they take advantage. Ravens too.

I'm all for leaving wildlife alone, but wildlife needs to stay out of the human habitation areas to avoid issues. We have coyotes here in my area that eat our chickens, goats, and anything else they can get a hold of. The coyotes that stay away and live out in the hills live a long healthy life and are admired and respected. The coyotes that come in and steal our pets and other animals and hang around close to us are shot on sight. This is the reason why they are a problem in NYC, but not here in the hills near me. When they live in urban areas where no one can walk around with a gun, much less shoot one, coyotes run rampant and they get bold and potentially dangerous. Out here on the edge of civilization their numbers are controlled and their healthy fear and respect of humans keeps them alive and well. I walk around out in the wilderness all the time here. When I see a coyote from 100+ yards away, they bolt, or I just don't even see them because they hear/smell/sense me coming from a mile away. That is how it should be. When they walk right up to people just a few feet away, you have a serious problem that needs to be dealt with.

The OP lives in a populated city, and I'll bet that the ones near him are pretty desensitized and unafraid of humans. He's right to be concerned about his tortoises.

yep. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coyote-731966-boy-hughan.html

this happened only 5 min away from where i live

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
yep. http://www.ocregister.com/articles/coyote-731966-boy-hughan.html

this happened only 5 min away from where i live
That is very scary. I've never seen a coyote where I live. We used to live in the country. There were coyotes but they were shy, and also emaciated. Now we live where there are lots of cows. I think the ranchers probably are shooting them if they get near the cattle. About a year ago, something was killing the neighborhood cats. I don't think they ever figured out what it was, but I don't think anyone thought it was a coyote.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About a year ago, something was killing the neighborhood cats. I don't think they ever figured out what it was, but I don't think anyone thought it was a coyote.

It was most likely coyotes, but could also have been a great horned owl, or a person. Just guessing.

Kaliman1962

I have a Bullmastiff, he & the sulcata got along, no problem, one day, the dog grabbed the tortosie out of his pen & killed him. very sad
now, the dog is never alone with him, & now can't get in the pen, so just be careful

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not
Well a Dobie would take care of your coyote's , but no promises for you and / or your Torts ! :eek:

doberman.jpg
a pack of them, the dob would still lose!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

I doubt the OP has to worry. We have them in the city of Chicago. Purposely put here to control rats. Been here for quite a few years now. They have yet to bother anyone in the city. They are bold, but still run from humans. Food is plentiful, no need for them to over work themselves chasing and killing dogs, cats, or even the rats they were brought in for. I think they are less of a threat then you might think. Urban areas have lots of food sources that is much easier to get then hunting for it.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Not

a pack of them, the dob would still lose!

Not to argue , but considering the Doberman Pinschers I have bred , and obedience trained all this statement tells me is ;
A. How little you know about the breed .
B. How little you know about coyote's . Nuff said !! :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I doubt the OP has to worry. We have them in the city of Chicago. Purposely put here to control rats. Been here for quite a few years now. They have yet to bother anyone in the city. They are bold, but still run from humans. Food is plentiful, no need for them to over work themselves chasing and killing dogs, cats, or even the rats they were brought in for. I think they are less of a threat then you might think. Urban areas have lots of food sources that is much easier to get then hunting for it.

Most of the time they are harmless, but there are notable exceptions, like the ones in the link from enchilada that were 5 minutes from his house. I've seen hundreds of harmless coyotes, but I've also seen a few exceptions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Not to argue , but considering the Doberman Pinschers I have bred , and obedience trained all this statement tells me is ;

I don't think a dobie, or any other breed, except maybe a pit bull, could fight off a pack of coyotes that were on the hunt.

Luckily, most of the time coyotes don't want to try a big dog, but I know of several large dogs, like shepards, that were killed by coyotes out here.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of the time they are harmless, but there are notable exceptions, like the ones in the link from enchilada that were 5 minutes from his house. I've seen hundreds of harmless coyotes, but I've also seen a few exceptions.
There are always exceptions in any situation. I think he has less to worry about then those living further into coyotes territory. Specially seeing killing them is being tossed around. In the urban city settings, where garbage is plentiful, I don't think the site of one is a threat.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Whatever. One dog, pack of coyotes. I would bet a million on that one, except I would never put a dog in that situation. I get you love your breed.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I don't think a dobie, or any other breed, except maybe a pit bull, could fight off a pack of coyotes that were on the hunt.

Luckily, most of the time coyotes don't want to try a big dog, but I know of several large dogs, like shepards, that were killed by coyotes out here.
Even though it is pure conjecture , I would probably agree that a pit bull would have the edge simply because fighting is what they have been bred and trained for .
What mystifies me is the concept of these scruffy little varmints (coyotes) being portrayed as being as vicious as a pack of wolves. As I am sure you are well aware , their main sustenance is bugs , rodents and other vermin . We also have many instances of them killing chickens and other livestock , which is promptly dealt with by use of a 22 long rifle . I don't know , perhaps California coyotes are bigger and more vicious than Arizona coyotes ?
I actually put my original post up as sort of a joke because the idea of buying a dog to protect you from coyotes just sounds silly to me !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Even though it is pure conjecture , I would probably agree that a pit bull would have the edge simply because fighting is what they have been bred and trained for .
What mystifies me is the concept of these scruffy little varmints (coyotes) being portrayed as being as vicious as a pack of wolves. As I am sure you are well aware , their main sustenance is bugs , rodents and other vermin . We also have many instances of them killing chickens and other livestock , which is promptly dealt with by use of a 22 long rifle . I don't know , perhaps California coyotes are bigger and more vicious than Arizona coyotes ?
I actually put my original post up as sort of a joke because the idea of buying a dog to protect you from coyotes just sounds silly to me !

Yes. Pure conjecture. A pit bull would win for sure one-on-one, but against a whole pack that was actively hunting… I don't know...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There are always exceptions in any situation. I think he has less to worry about then those living further into coyotes territory. Specially seeing killing them is being tossed around. In the urban city settings, where garbage is plentiful, I don't think the site of one is a threat.

I can understand why a person would think that, but reality is the opposite. It is more often the urban coyotes in the cities that get themselves into trouble. Seldom does anyone in a rural area have trouble with them, because they get shot if people even see them at a distance.

I don't know how it works in other parts of the country, but we have coyote "incidents" on the news here regularly and I don't think enchilada's concerns are unfounded. Having a dog is not the solution in my opinion, but one of these "domestic" coyotes could very well pose a threat to a tortoise outside at night.