1. Hello guest! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and have a great time chatting with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

What do you use for swimming holes?

Discussion in 'Sulcata tortoises' started by mary t, Apr 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary t

mary t Member

Hey all- it feels like forever since I've had a chance to get one the site. I LOVE THE NEW IPAD APP!

Anyway back to my topic, I'm needing to increase an area for Willie to cool off in. I used a birdbath last year and well I noticed a few days ago, my big boy doesn't fit in it anymore. Being in central Florida- I can't keep a mud hole wet, it drys up as fast as I get it going. Any suggestions. I was thinking of a shallow concrete pond, I could line it with river rocks to smooth it out.....

I've attached a picture from last summer- he spends a lot of time "swimming". But the last weigh in he is 25 pounds, in this pic he was only about 18... ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1365160478.710777.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions....
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2014
  2. Turtulas-Len

Turtulas-Len Well-Known Member

This is what I made for my sulcata, it is easy to clean, just turn it up rinse and refill, and can be made to any size you want.
  3. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Staff Member

I made a small cement pond for my Leo. Just dig the size you want, pour cement, I used my gloved hand to spread around and let dry and cure. I also, placed a PVC pipe into the ground in the middle of the pond, placed a sink pop up stopper in it. This way I can rinse out the pond every day. Just be sure you don't make my mistake. I forgot to put some kind of air pipe, so mine drains slow.
    I have also seen someone use a kiddie pool. Cut a section out of the side, leaving a little lip on the bottom for tort entrance, then sunk into ground on an angle, so the part that didn't have the entrance cut out, was the deeper end.
  4. mary t

mary t Member

Thanks for the ideas guys.. A concrete one with a drain is a great idea. I made a French drain under the birdbath so I could just dump it. I could pull the plug and let it go down into the rocks... How big did you make yours, Wellington?
  5. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer Staff Member

This is a plastic boot thing-a-ma-bob, made for you to put your boots in outside the door. I use this for the Gulf Coast box turtles.

[​IMG]

This was one of my failures. Its a plastic thing you take to the snow and slide down the hill in:

[​IMG]

Dudley, 100lb sulcata, has been using this one for several years. It's the top of a garbage toter:
    [​IMG]

This is a cement-lined hole in the ground for the box turtles:

[​IMG]

This is a cement mixing tub with two Manouria in it, and a garbage toter lid to the right:

[​IMG]

And just for some comic relief, "GET OUT OF MY BATH TUB!!!!" :

[​IMG]
  6. mary t

mary t Member

Emy....

Do your torts have any trouble getting out of the varied pool ideas? Or o they have rocks in them to help.... Also, where are you located? I'm afraid the dark tubs will become pots to cook Willie in here in Florida... I kept a beach umbrella over the birdbath all summer.. I have moved his enclosure and it incorporates more shade but not where the pool needs to be!