What do you mean "They are JUST tortoises"?

leutseym

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, Arizona
As a Manager of a Storage Facility, I talk to a lot of people. One of my favorite topics, of course, is tortoises. A tenant's friend told me his mom has 2 sulcata's, and both are kept together in a small fish tank inside their house, and have been in there for over a year now. Of course I immediately start asking questions as to why they are kept in such a way, his response..."They are JUST tortoises"! WHAT?!? JUST tortoises??? Yes, the way you are feeling reading this, doesn't even come close to how outraged I was standing in front of this guy listening to him say this. After I stopped seeing red, knowing I just gave this guy a huge piece of my thoughts, I gathered myself together and tried to give him some ideas on how he and his mother could make these wonderful tortoises a better living environment. He asked me if I wanted them because they really didn't want them anymore, but would not give me his phone number, nor address to where they could be picked up from. This kind of attitude is why there are so many tortoises abused, abandoned, and left in such horrible living conditions it just makes me crazy! I hope he is at least serious about wanting to give these tortoises up. If I can get them here, I am hoping there might be someone(s) that will be willing to give them a good home? For the 2 tortoises sake, I just need to get them out of there!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Some people just like to get your goat . They just say things to get you angry. Let's just hope he's that kind of person . And there isn't any torts .

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
:eek: I hope you get them! I feel terrible for them! :mad: Maybe your tenant knows a way of contact?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I hope you get them!!
I think many animals/ reptiles get the short end of the stick from humans.
It's the only reason I couldnr't breed.

chaseswife

5 Year Member
When I first got my baby sulcata my dad said "The good thing with tortoises is that if you keep them in a smallish tank, they will stay little forever!" :mad: I love and respect my dad, but I was so thankful that that I was old enough to know better and that I was able to come back to my own house after telling him how wrong he was.

leutseym

5 Year Member
Mesa, Arizona
Well this guy is a grown man, he should know better! I wish it wasn't true and that he was just trying to ruffle feather's, but the tenant verified that the tortoises have absolutely no space to move around in the tank, without having to be on top of the other to do so. I warned him about having two together, let alone in such a small area, and if males, the outcome may be bad...he shrugged it off and said they don't fight too bad, only when one is trying to move and has to climb over the other one. I get so upset just thinking about it. I have been trying to get in touch with my tenant, but now her phone is shut off. If I can find where his mom lives, I will go and talk with her, and hopefully she agrees with letting me take them. Then it will be my responsibility in finding them good homes!