What caused this bumpy layer growth?

Lindsey28

Location (City and/or State)
Charlotte, NC
I noticed this the other day and thought maybe it may have gotten a little too dry? But I'm not sure what else it could be. Does anybody know?IMG_1992.JPG.jpeg IMG_1993.JPG.jpeg

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I am trying to enlarge this section but not getting best focus. It looks grainy. Is there a chance of some dirt being stuck in there? It looks like some kind of a grit. Sand?????

Lindsey28

Charlotte, NC
I know it's definitely not normal but I can't think of what it could be? My other tort doesn't have this and she has the same living conditions. And I can see a white layer underneath where that crusty/bumpy layer is..

Here's a better pic:
IMG_1995.JPG.jpeg

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Dang. That looks weird. If it were me, I would put Athlete's foot cream on it to make sure it's not a fungus. If it is, that'll get rid of it. If it's not a fungus, no harm done.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Because of where it is - on the top of the tortoise - I'm going with too close to the hot light and it burned the new growth.
Ahhh!!! That would make sense. I have never seen fresh keratin burn but I'd imagine it would buble up kinda like burning hair melting

Lindsey28

Charlotte, NC
Hmmm that COULD be it, but is there anything else could it be? I don't know when the bubbles first started, but the heat lamp hasn't been really on lately.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Hmmm that COULD be it, but is there anything else could it be? I don't know when the bubbles first started, but the heat lamp hasn't been really on lately.
Ok so if the lamp is off and tort is just basking outside, the growth from this point on should be smooth, no bubbles. If it doesn't smooth up then I'd say get it medically checked.