what can you tell me about my tortoises?

Donnau8

We had a tortoise and it escaped. In the meantime we bought another one. A month later our neighbor found our lost tort so now we have two. What kind of tortoises are they? What sex are they? If they're of the same sex, could we try putting them together or will one of them become stressed? We have an outside enclosure that is about 4X4 and an inside enclosure that is 3X4. I can keep them separate in the summer but I'm in Eastern PA so the winters are cold. We're new tort owners so we're still learning.

tort 1.jpg tort 1.jpg
tort 1.jpg
tort 2.jpg tort 2.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I completely agree with Tom.
Russians are SUPER scrappy.
It looks like you have a male and a female there.
But that doesn't mean that they should be placed together. Especially in such a small enclosure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
We had a tortoise and it escaped. In the meantime we bought another one. A month later our neighbor found our lost tort so now we have two. What kind of tortoises are they? What sex are they? If they're of the same sex, could we try putting them together or will one of them become stressed? We have an outside enclosure that is about 4X4 and an inside enclosure that is 3X4. I can keep them separate in the summer but I'm in Eastern PA so the winters are cold. We're new tort owners so we're still learning.

View attachment 185223 View attachment 185224
View attachment 185225
View attachment 185226 View attachment 185227

A very warm welcome to the forum! :tort:

Please separate your torts asap so as to avoid bullying: torts do not need/like company.;) And give them daily soaks in warm water.

As ANY question when you need help.:D

Donnau8

Thank you. They are separated. I've been soaking him but not everyday. I'm learning a lot!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I completely agree with Tom.
Russians are SUPER scrappy.
It looks like you have a male and a female there.
But that doesn't mean that they should be placed together. Especially in such a small enclosure.
Ed, why are Russian torts "SUPER scrappy?" as you put it. OK, Oli is a Greek tort but knowledge is always good.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Russians are very aggressive as a species in general.
Most tortoises will bully each other. Russians bite and ram each other even moreso.
Wow! That bad?

Thanks the info. Appreciate it.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you. They are separated. I've been soaking him but not everyday. I'm learning a lot!
Great! That a step ahead: your having separated them

However, I'd suggest your giving them a soak every day, so as to avoid pyramiding as well as dehydration.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, Donna, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your Russians.
4' by 8' for each tortoise would be considered about the minimum, but bigger is always better.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!