What a crazy egg day!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Geeze come home from work, throw some shorts on and bam eggs everywhere.

Got one egg from some pretty rare lobatse hinge backs that just came a few weeks ago from South Africa. Here's the mom. Still in quarantine too.
image.jpg
It's the egg on the top. Being cooled with the Chaco egg that was laid Saturday image.jpg

Then our big leopard laid a 17 egg clutch. Pretty good size clutch. She usually lays around 10-12
image.jpg
image.jpg
Then found 4 eggs in the Sri Lankan star pen.
image.jpgDuring all this madness the dogs were going crazy at the steps for one of the building is. Find out it was a cottonmouth. So battled trying to catch that for 30 minutes. What a night.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Congrats, Congrats, Congrats! ! ! ! !!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You didn't kill it did you? I love snakes just as much as tortoises .

tortoise Inc

5 Year Member
New Zealand
What's going on in Picture four, is she digging, do they wee to make the soil diggable if soil is to dry....

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
You didn't kill it did you? I love snakes just as much as tortoises .
I didn't it did get away though. Found a crack into the siding of the outside greenhouse. So he's living around there. Not too worried about the torts and snakes. Torts are so docile they pose no threat. But all the volunteers, and my dogs I do worry about. I always relocate them a couple hundred acres up to a pond. Except the copperheads. I take them about a1000 acres over to a forest area.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
What's going on in Picture four, is she digging, do they wee to make the soil diggable if soil is to dry....
Yep females will urinate to make the soil muddy or more clay like. Easier to excavate. Took her about an hour or so to dig this nest. Nice black soil down here. When water hits it (or any liquid) it's perfect nest digging substrate.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Pretty hingeback, sure hope her egg hatches... and the rest too of course! :)

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pretty hingeback, sure hope her egg hatches... and the rest too of course! :)
She sure is. Not sure how many have been hatched in the US. She's gained 217 grams since she laid that egg. So hoping she will plop some more out. I'm a week or so away from cooling that egg. Hope it develops after the cooling once placed in the incubator. Such a cool species of Kinixys for sure.

Kathy Coles

5 Year Member
North Carolina
There must have been some sort of tortoise party going on for this to happen all at once. Was the bartender serving up cactus juice???

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ha. It was a full moon, and pressure systems built up before a storm the next day. Usually I see very consistent egg laying just before a spring storm, when the pressure rises a lot.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Did the Chaco ever finish laying her eggs?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
She did. The second one was broken though. The other females turn now. Should be getting another clutch in a few weeks from her too. So hopefully will go better this upcoming second clutch. I've loosened and churned the soil more. I think she had trouble with the second egg because she spent all her energy digging all day. Then the sun went down. So trying to make it easier for them.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I know you sell some and wholesale others Kelly, but what are your plans for the more exotic babies? I am going to assume that you keep the Chacos and rare hingebacks? What about the Stars? Have you had any success with the Egyptians?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I know you sell some and wholesale others Kelly, but what are your plans for the more exotic babies? I am going to assume that you keep the Chacos and rare hingebacks? What about the Stars? Have you had any success with the Egyptians?
Most of the rarer ones we do keep or give to zoo, and or colleagues that have those species already. Egyptians won't lay until the fall-winter and hatch next spring.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
Eggggg-cellent Egg Day! Best wishes for many, many successes!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Very Nice Kelly , things are cranking at the compound!
:D