Wendell

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
South Chicago Suburb
Hello! Just wanted to hear your thoughts and/or opinions. Wendell is my first redfoot so this is all new to me. Previously, I had a box turtle for 12yrs but she was an adult when I got her. Wendell came home with me as a brand new baby back in May. First time I measured him/her Wendell was 3 1/4in SCL and today he/she is 4 1/2in SCL. I believe he/she is growing at a "normal" rate right? How does Wendell's she'll look? Humidity have been great in his/her home but the shop I bought him/her from definitely didn't have him/her in the right environment. When do I start feeding Wendell animal protein? Are hard boiled eggs ok? Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484425647.958784.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1484425668.977955.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hello! Just wanted to hear your thoughts and/or opinions. Wendell is my first redfoot so this is all new to me. Previously, I had a box turtle for 12yrs but she was an adult when I got her. Wendell came home with me as a brand new baby back in May. First time I measured him/her Wendell was 3 1/4in SCL and today he/she is 4 1/2in SCL. I believe he/she is growing at a "normal" rate right? How does Wendell's she'll look? Humidity have been great in his/her home but the shop I bought him/her from definitely didn't have him/her in the right environment. When do I start feeding Wendell animal protein? Are hard boiled eggs ok? Any thoughts, comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!View attachment 197223View attachment 197224
Hi @kjturtlegirl. The when /if and how much protein thing is to say the least a difference of opinion. Some feed more than others, some don't feed at all, some feed natural only and some feed man-made foods.
I've fed 1 worm per week to 1 of mine from 12 wks old and is growing smooth and seems healthy, I have another 9 hatchlings that I won't be feeding worms to until they are 24wks old. All growing smooth and seem healthy. Next batch is getting a worm from day 1 once a wk. My opinion 'for now' is as long as you don't feed protein in vast amounts at any stage of their life you should be OK(to much is heavy on the organs).
I feed heavily towards weeds, weeds are high in protein too.
Keratin is protein based, your nails,hair and the torts nails,beak and scutes are types of keratin that needs protein to grow. If you was to starve your tort completely of protein (animal or vegetation protein) your tort will not grow correctly. So for example if it was to feed only fruit forever the keratin development would not be possible.
The above is not fact but what I am constantly observing with my tort obsetion and trying to put 2 and 2 to get 4. :D

I'm thinking there must be a balance for all species of torts for protein. Don't forget protein comes from animals and some types of vegitation. (Dandilions and sow thistle for example).
Is it a case of herbivores live amongst high protein foliage and omnivores have to rely more on animal protein because of low protein foliage. Is it a case that the redfoot can live like either of the above and has to in some regions.
If you feed egg you may as well scramble it with the crushed up egg shell in it. Personally I would feed a worm or a slug once a week from 12 to 24 wks old. I can't see that doing any harm.
Hope this helped you in some way.

kjturtlegirl

5 Year Member
South Chicago Suburb
Thanks! I will get some worms and see how Wendell does with live food before I give him/her any eggs. I know there's some debate on added calcium as well what are your thoughts on that? Wendell is my first redfoot and I plan on having him/her for a VERY long time so I want to make sure I'm doing the best I possibly can. From what I've read, babies are pretty fragile

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Thanks! I will get some worms and see how Wendell does with live food before I give him/her any eggs. I know there's some debate on added calcium as well what are your thoughts on that? Wendell is my first redfoot and I plan on having him/her for a VERY long time so I want to make sure I'm doing the best I possibly can. From what I've read, babies are pretty fragile
I leave a few pieces of cuttlebone in the enclosure 24/7 for extra calcium needs, sometimes I put eggshell in too but our adults usually get those. Again the weeds over groceries provides calcium too, some add a bit of calcium powder to food once or twice a week. I don't bother.