Well, I have a box turtle!!

Jacqui_80

image.jpg image.jpg Hi, y'all! Yesterday, I adopted what I thought was told was a Greek tortoise. I had no pictures prior. So I had done my research for a Greek tortoise.

Today, after posting on here, I realize she is a box turtle. The lady I got her from had a cat that used her enclosure as a litter box, even with the turtle in there!! Bleh!

I have had one reply saying she is a three toed box. I have box turtle food, and have put a large wading pool type bowl in there for her until we can do a proper enclosure.

Are there any other tips I can use? I know they are omnivores and have provided her with that.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA
WOW! I do not know boxies, but love how they always look like they are smiling :)

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I recently got a Boxturtle also, and according to the forum she is a three toed Boxturtle.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1410736577.336797.jpg since I got her I have trimmed her nails and file down her beak a little bit. Definitely check out the box turtle section of the forum. But basically they require more humidity then a Greek and they are omnivores. Mind it really seems to like worms and crickets. I have found the diet more complicated then for my Russian tortoise. Are you going to keep her inside or out ?

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Where was the location you got her from? I don't suspect pure 3toed. She has different characteristics that have me suspicious. The local will help out tremendously

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Box turtle food is another way to take your money. There are so many foods boxies will eat. Bugs, worms, slugs. Windfall fruit, berries of every kind, apple, pumpkin, cooked chicken, hard boiled egg, lightly steamed or wilted vegetables, carrots, corn, tomato, go easy on the banana, fish, cantaloupe, mushrooms... One of mine ate Brussel sprouts recently. Variety is key.

She'll enjoy a big leaf pile.

Jacqui_80

She is very docile!! She hasn't sucked in at all!!

I got her from a lady here in Lafayette, Louisiana. She had gotten her from ANOTHER woman hereabouts as well. All the original owner told her, was that she was a tortoise. She didn't have a wading pool or anything when I got her.

And I got box turtle food a few weeks ago, after the hubs rescued one from the roadside ( which we later released same spot ). That one turned out to be a mud turtle!! I've given her grapes and romaine lettuce so far. I've got raspberries and carrots as well - the carrots I'm going to shred for her. I have another 'pool' that I'm going to let her relax in daily.

I'm going to keep her inside mostly, but plan on building an enclosure for her outside as well, so that she can soak up some sun!!

Jacqui_80

It was. ;) I had decided after we released it I wanted a land turtle ( in addition to my 3 aquatic turtles ). I love turtles!! I got my first turtle Peeper ( yellow belly slider ) 4 years ago when she was a hatchling. Crush ( Ouachita map ) soon followed. I adopted a third, Gimli ( red eared slider ) not long ago.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington

Jacqui_80

I did entice her to eat!! I got a can of zoomed's box turtle food, mushed it up, added diced raspberries, shredded carrots, and the pelleted food. She ate it up!! WOOHOO!!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Just as I suspected. She is from an area of intergrades. Lafayette Louisiana is on the very fringe of where gulf coast occur but where mostly 3 toeds inhabit. That's assuming the lady got her from that area, but all the box turtles characteristics had me thinking Louisiana. So although she is primarily 3toed, she has a hint of gulf coast in her. I haven't seen any cases of pure gulf coast box turtles east of the Atchafalaya basin but all the books say they occur west of it. Some even have accounts in east Texas, but I have my doubts.

Congrats again on the pretty box turtle

Jacqui_80

I have the correct lighting, but how long should I leave it on per day? Should I also get a nighttime bulb?

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My box turtle is from LA as well and is a gulf coast/three toed integrade. Yours seems to favor three toed more. Mine I think favors the gulf coast. Your turtle is a cutie.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My old gulfie is particularly fond of soaking & goes into his water dish many times each day. So does my 3 toed.

Jacqui_80

When should I introduce the calcium in her diet? I know too much can be harmful.