WEIRD BOX TURTLE

Roberto

Hello!

So I was out walking next to a pond, and I found a box turtle stuck in a mud hole. I found it strange that an adult EBT would get stuck there; I saw many turtle swim to the other side with no trouble. But here it was, its head stuck in the mud. I pulled it out, and after getting the mud off of it, I noticed that it looked weird for an Eastern box turtle. It had a normal shell, but the marking on its skin consisted of squiggly bars and thin stripes rather than splotches, and the underside of its neck, its limbs, and those little pockets where the legs are tucked in when it gets scared (don't know the name for those :/) are bright white with back spots. Its head is thin and narrow, rather than big and bulky. It also tried to follow me, and didn't struggle when I picked it up. I live in an area where EBTs are illegal to sell or keep, and I heard that some breeders have hybridized EBTs with other box turtles to create babies that are legal to sell, since the babies are not considered EBTs. Perhaps this turtle is one? I also think that this turtle was once a pet, hybrid or not. It got stuck in a mud hole which wild turtles can cross, it is skinny and hungry, and responds well to people. Can someone help me?????

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Yes....I would love to see a photo of this EBT. Did you took a photo? Can this be the mixed species? Can this be happen in the wild?

Abdulla6169

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Dubai/New York
Yes....I would love to see a photo of this EBT. Did you took a photo? Can this be the mixed species? Can this be happen in the wild?
Box turtles mix (as I remember), so it is possible... Maybe a thrown away pet mated with another turtle? Um, not very sure here :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't condone taking from the wild. However, if you think this one is in a lot of danger of a possible death, him/her plump and doing better and then release it back where you found it. Just not back in the mud.

Roberto

CIMG6789.JPG CIMG6790.JPG CIMG6789.JPG CIMG6790.JPG CIMG6789.JPG CIMG6790.JPG CIMG6789.JPG CIMG6790.JPG CIMG6791.JPG CIMG6792.JPG CIMG6793.JPG CIMG6789.JPG CIMG6790.JPG CIMG6791.JPG CIMG6792.JPG CIMG6793.JPG CIMG6794.JPG Okay, these are the best photos I could get. Hopefully you guys can help out with identification. As you can tell, the little guys shows little fear in these photos, and I just caught him today.

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
Boxies love to bury themselves in mud. Looks like a beautiful male eastern to me.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
It's 100% eastern male, just a unique one with a white throat. The head size can change a good bit between a young male and a much older male.

Roberto

Interesting! I've never seen such a beautiful eastern before. But I still believe it was a pet at one point. He's scared of worms, and seems too responsive to people, as he follows everyone he meets. I don't like taking animals from their natural habitat, but I believe this one won't survive out there. But where I live it is illegal to take EBTs from the wild (I work for a nature park and am watching this little guy until the head naturalist comes back). Any ideas on what I should do?