Weight

pfara

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Years don't particularly matter since the rate of growth varies a great deal with each individual. It's size (length) that is more important. The Donoghue formula gives a very general idea on the healthy weight of a redfoot. You can find this formula under the "healthy weight and size" section of www.tortoiselibrary.com I believe. Remember, it's just a general idea of an ideal weight.

jackmeggers

Hampton Roads, Va
Yesa, I tried all the different sites and they all seemed to be off. I'm not the best at advanced math but still...

Wouldn't it be great is there was an average weight chart or something?

abclements

5 Year Member
I use the formula that pfara talked about, if you give me a current weight and length, I can try to walk you through it if you would like?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
"This ratio can only be applied to the Testudo Graeca (Mediterranean Spur-Thighed Tortoise) and Testudo Hermanni (Hermanns tortoise)." Meggin was asking for a redfoot. That site is pretty convenient for doing the calculations automatically, though Big Grin
Alma

Actually, there is not way to formulate an exact figure for what the tort in your care should be....there are simply too many genetic variables to accurately get the prediction you are wanting.....so, please do use any of these "calculators" kinda like you would reading oh lets say, your daily horoscope---strictly for entertainment purposes....

abclements

5 Year Member
I'm going to disagree. I used to formula given on Mark's website. I plug in my red foots length and weight and it gives me a number that is close to 1. It helps me keep an idea on the growth patterns of Franklin. As long as that number doesn't change dramatically from one weigh in to the next, I can assume that his weight increase is proportionally increasing with his length. That being said a perfect 1 is supposed to denote a perfectly healthy tortoise, but Franklin has always fallen between 1.12-1.17. It really is a piece of mind thing for me. If that number does swing out of what is normal, I at least know something may be wrong even if there are no obvious physical symptoms.