watersorb

Shaif

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
Has anyone used Watersorb to increase humidity in enclosures? This is a food grade crystal that is mixed into soil to increase water absorption. I read about it on a turtle forum, but am wondering if anyone has tried?

I'm trying to close my system, but there is still a gap around lighting that loses sooooo much moisture during daytime. At night, I cover this with a moist towel. Works wonderfully at night, but trying to level out the daytime dry out.

My current substrate is 3 inches Natures care, organic topsoil, and forest floor cypress mulch. Humidity drops to less than 20 daytime under my MVB.

Thanks tons for any help!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
never used it. Food grade? Does that mean it can be mixed with food? What's its original purpose what was it intended for?

Shaif

Pittsburgh, PA
Used for gardening and increasing the moisture in the soil. The lady who posted about it said that her turtles never ate it, but I'm still a little concerned also. Even if it is good grade, meaning that it can be ingested by humans safely, what if it expands in a tiny tort's belly?

I feel like I'm chasing down any way to keep moisture in.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Used for gardening and increasing the moisture in the soil. The lady who posted about it said that her turtles never ate it, but I'm still a little concerned also. Even if it is good grade, meaning that it can be ingested by humans safely, what if it expands in a tiny tort's belly?

I would try it, just not in the substrate. Put it in its own pots that he can't reach or tip over

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Why do you want to keep moisture in? The idea is to let moisture out so it can increase humidity. The moisture just needs to be replaced as it evaporates. If your substrate moisture is evaporating too quickly it means you have too much ventilation and need to address that.

I would not use those water crystals where a tortoise has access to it.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I think that those superabsorbent things are to keep things around them dry, and that would defeat our purpose. We want all that moisture in the air our torts breathe

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
By food grade what's meant is that plants grown in it are safe to eat.

It does not mean that it's safe to eat the material itself.

No I wouldn't use it in substrate in case it got eaten by the tort